Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startech 4 Port PCI Express shows a driver problem - PCI to PCI bridge

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RedGunner

RedGunner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have purchased a 4 Port PCI Express (PCIe) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card Adapter w/ 4 Dedicated 5Gbps Channels - UASP - SATA / LP4 Power PEXUSB3S44V and I have connected it to a PCI-E Slot on my MSI Z97S Motherboard, I am using Windows10 64bit 1803 and I cannot get it to work.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels-4-Port~PEXUSB3S44V#dnlds

It shows as PCI to PCI Bridge and shows the status as 

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device

It is using Microsoft Driver 10.0.17134.1 and inside the event log it shows as;

Device PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_2608&SUBSYS_260812D8&REV_00\4&ce11231&0&0009 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: pci.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Service: pci
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x1F
Problem Status: 0xC0000010

I have plugged in several other PCI-E Cards and they work fine, it seems to be this startech card - I sent the original I purchased back and I got a new replacement but same issue so it appears to be software and not hardware - I have tried putting into another PCI-E slot and I get the same issue.

I enabled GEN3 support (originally set to auto inside of the UEFI) and same issue.

The weird thing I notice is that when the card is not slotted in the UEFI gives me the option to go into my settings, but when the card is connected it takes an extra minute to boot up and I can't even restart into UEFI from the windows10 recovery.

I am running out of ideas and I have emailed Startech support but I wanted to check if anyone has any experience of this as well? Thank for your for your support and time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

PCI\VEN_12D8&DEV_2608&SUBSYS_260812D8&REV_00\

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/12d8/2608

According to the above the vendor is Pericom and the device is PI7C9X2G608GP PCIe2 6-Port/8-Lane Packet Switch

Just to confirm, you attached a Molex connector from the PSU to the back of the card, correct? Windows 10 is supposed to have native drivers for USB 3.0. There are no drivers to download. I'm not sure why Windows 10 does not detect it. The support page of the device shows the chipset as Renesas. That should show up under USB controllers in Device Manager.

There are 3 PCIex1 slots on the motherboard. Do you have access to any of the others?

#3 RedGunner

RedGunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thank you for help - After reaching out to Startech we have found the chipset is incompatible with my MSI Z97S and simply cannot work.

1 user got it working by changing from PCI-E Gen from Auto to 2, but I have tried Auto, 1, 2 and 3 with no luck.

It appears I find an alternative or replace the motherboard.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Thank you for help - After reaching out to Startech we have found the chipset is incompatible with my MSI Z97S and simply cannot work.

1 user got it working by changing from PCI-E Gen from Auto to 2, but I have tried Auto, 1, 2 and 3 with no luck.

It appears I find an alternative or replace the motherboard.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. 

If you want to try something to confirm this is not some kind of Windows 10 problem you could download a live linux iso and burn it to a DVD. Mint Cinnamon is good for this. Boot the DVD and wait until you are at the Mint Desktop. Attach a USB device to the card. If linux can detect the card a USB icon will appear on the desktop and a File Manager will open showing the contents of the device. You can also see the device by clicking the Computer icon on the desktop. 

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

If you have a spare USB you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users