Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying New HDD but don't understand speed listings

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy another drive, and maybe even today.  But when looking at the available drives some say 600Mbps, 750, 768 and then some are saying 3000-6000!  What the heck are they advertising there-6000Mbps, I'll take that one LOL?

I'm looking to buy from one of the local stores.  Specs below: 

1. 1TB as that is the most common that they carry locally and really the very most I would need, 500 would be fine.

2. 7200rpm, unless there is a reason someone thinks this is not important, though I do think it is important.

3. I looked at maybe a WD Black, but some were saying that they were a little slow, and they cost more?

Of course they have a better warranty, but that's not important to me now.

4.  Or: Seagate?

What I think is an older drive, is showing to be Very Fast? 6000 megabytes per second

What I think is the newer drive is showing 750 megabytes per second

Then there is the Seagate which is showing 3000 megabytes per second

I'm quite sure this is some kind of bad labeling issue but I don't have the experience to know for sure.  Apologies, I'm running out of time, but will leave this WD FORUM LINK that I found.  It explains another question that I did not know, but still miffed about the speeds?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:29 AM

The Best Buy links are showing your the interface speeds (for example SATA 3 is 6.0 Gbit/s).  There is no way a HDD will do this.  Pretty much any new HDD, look at the brand (WD, Seagate, etc) and the RPM (7200 will be snappier than a 5400).  If you are just using the drive to store stuff ... nothing is wrong with a 5400 ... though if you're installing programs (or even the operating system) ... 7200 would be better (if an SSD is out of the question).  You'll be looking at around 130-150 Mb/s transfer rates.

So, out of the three drives you listed ...

I believe the WD Mainstream and the Blue are the exact same drive.  Out of the Seagate and the WD ... they are pretty much the same....so whichever will be fine.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, 6000 must be 6Gbps, and Bestbuy just messed up.

I believe the WD Mainstream and the Blue are the exact same drive.  

Agreed

I wonder why they changed the Model numbers, and why the UPC appears to be older on the drive that looks to be the newer one?  Unfortunately I will be buying from the store for convenience, so will get whatever they have there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

You may want to look at this thread before considering a Seagate.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677862/who-do-you-use-for-data-recovery-lab-services-and-why/

Also this.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677755/laptop-hdds-comparison/?p=4499354

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

yeah but the WD drives are expensive for 7200 RPM.

A 7200 RPM 2 TB seagate bare drive can be found for only $60

The only ones from WD at that price are either used or blue drives rated at 5200 RPM.

$109.99 is unreasonable for a 7200 RPM HDD these days

I honestly think WD is being a bunch of scumbags with their color code scheme nowadays, I dont care if they make superior hard drives the fact they overcharge is something i cannot get behind.

There is a difference between quality control and just ripping people off.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

Those were great articles john!  I do notice that the Toshiba's seem to last long, especially in laptops.  I may look around a little more considering this, but being an impulse buyer I may just go get a WD, especially if one is one sale this week.

Thanks Madman, I've also seen some Seagates last long, but not really enough to to say either way.  Some of these are lightly used and some are more heavily used.  Some have been subject to many power outages and some have not and that's hard to tell also.  I know one thing, if I sell a used computer to someone, I make sure they use a UPS or else won't warranty any drive failures.  This is because there are lot's of power outages here during the summer, and lot's of electrical storms also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Well thats the other thing, seagate can make good drives now and then.

But I will consider that thier laptop drives are not as good as WD ones but if you need speed well there are factors to consider.

I just really hate WD for their really crap scheme of keeping high speed high capacity drives at high costs, they are not competitive in the slightest.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

I believe HGST makes good drives. Hitachi's HDD business was bought by WD but the requirement was that it had to spin off into it's own division. I have some old seagate IDE drives and they are built like a tank. Also an old Maxtor and a drive from a company not many people remember, JTS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Actually I have had a mixed experience with HGST, even moreso than seagate.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Well don't buy one from Amazon lol, I see lots of folks there unhappy 1080 out of 8970 of the WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

Which brings up another good question, who would you guys buy from. 

I know some places I buy from send me damaged stuff all the time, and now won't even order from them.  So either the seller, or the shipper is damaging these things.  One, and the first is if they were packaged properly, and the second is how badly they were handled?

I feel like I buy from bestbuy, the shipping to their store is probably better than is what is coming to my home, does anyone have the same belief?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Actually i do buy from Amazon, if the price is right.

Otherwise newegg

I actually avoid best buy, they just want you to buy crap and most of them are morons.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

I only buy from Best Buy when I see a pretty good deal and know what I'm going in for. 

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

I'll use Best Buy when I need it right now like yesterday. Do not get any service from Best buy because they are not that competent but Best Buy will price match if I ask. They do not do "sale" items but Newegg or Amazon are usually lower than Best Buy's prices.

Last Saturday I desperately needed a 70mm cpu fan, Best Buy could not provide

Edited by Joe C, 28 May 2018 - 01:12 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Best Buy matched an ASUS M32 desktop from Amazon. Amazon price was $300 cheaper than what BestBuy advertised. BestBuy was overpriced but I'd rather buy something like a desktop at a brick and mortar store in case I need to return it and avoid the hassle of shipping it back. It was a closeout because this was when Windows 10 was being introduced.

#15 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

I've been using computers since the 90's and I have never bought a store off the shelf pc (excluding laptops) for myself. I build my own and for others too. On some occasions an off the shelf is cheaper and if someone want's a particular brand I'll buy one

Edited by Joe C, 28 May 2018 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users