Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse not working.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Hello I turned on my desktop this morning and the keyboard and mouse would not work in Windows 10 so I am stuck on the login screen, they do work in the BIOS though.  I did not install any software or windows update last night.  I have the keyboard and mouse connected to a switch but the switch, keyboard and mouse work with my other computer.  I have also connected other keyboard and mouse's to the computer and they do not work as well.  I have tried this workaround but no luck https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/usb-keyboard-and-mouse-stopped-working-on-windows-10-desktop/

I cannot log in and the link posted when I ran the DISM command it did not work and I got an error saying it could not access the image error 2. I have scanned for viruses with Kaspersky Rescue disc and ran startup repair with no luck.  Also the lights on my mouse and keyboard are not lit up.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard and an Intel i7.

-Thanks

Edited by kwjamesblond, 27 May 2018 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hello I turned on my desktop this morning and the keyboard and mouse would not work in Windows 10 so I am stuck on the login screen, they do work in the BIOS though.  I did not install any software or windows update last night. I have the keyboard and mouse connected to a switch but the switch, keyboard and mouse work with my other computer.  I have also connected other keyboard and mouse's to the computer and they do not work as well.  I have tried this workaround but no luck https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/usb-keyboard-and-mouse-stopped-working-on-windows-10-desktop/

I cannot log in and the link posted when I ran the DISM command it did not work and I got an error saying it could not access the image error 2. I have scanned for viruses with Kaspersky Rescue disc and ran startup repair with no luck.  Also the lights on my mouse and keyboard are not lit up.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard and an Intel i7.

-Thanks

What type of switch are you referring to and for what purpose?

Since a switch is being used I'm assuming that the mouse and keyboard are hardwired for USB use?

Have you tried using the mouse and keyboard plugged directly in a USB  port?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

I am using this switch https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-Switcher/dp/B01N6GD9JO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527520001&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+3.0+switch

I have my usb keyboard and mouse connected to it so I can use both the of them for my two computers and switch back and forth as needed.  The keyboard and mouse both work fine with the other computer.  I have tried to plug the keyboard and mouse in the back of the computer I am having trouble with but no luck there as well and they don't even light up past the BIOS splash screen.

-Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

There were issues with one particular update but that was for build 1709, not 1803. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/671179/recent-windows-10-update-breaks-usb-mouse-and-keyboard-on-dell-3040/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

#5 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

I somewhat to remember a old windows update that was never installed(Till now perhaps).  I can't get the DISM command to work or the Bcdedit command in case my drive letter is wrong, I am sorting there the first linked you posted any more help would be great as it is a long post.  I am also having trouble with the CMD in WIndows recorvery disc "Not enough memory resources are available to process this command" is labeled at the top of the CMD adn Bcdedit /enum returns "The boot configuration data store could not be opened" and "The system cannot find the file specified"

-Thanks

Edited by kwjamesblond, 28 May 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Sometimes when booting to the command prompt the drive letter for Windows is not C: you can determine it by using the following command.

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"

If using a Windows 10 install disk you can access the command prompt by pressing Shift + F10 at the screen asking for language or access the Advanced Boot Options by clicking the Repair Computer link. There is the option to do an Automatic Repair. It can take up to three attempts. If using a install disk of Windows 10 the DISM command would be the following if it is indeed that particular update.

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package/packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

If you need a iso of an earlier version of Windows 10 you can download it from this site.

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/microsoft-windows-10-download/

You may be able to access the Advanced Boot Options using the following method then do a System Restore.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

The above can also be used to do a reset with the option to keep your files. I am not sure if using the above method would get your USB functional.

#7 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Yeah I can get the command Bcdedti /enum to run in the command prompt now.  So what are my best options I have several backups I can go back to and what are the differences between system restore and reset and how could I prevent this issue from returning?  I got close on the DISM command but  it says the package is not a valid windows package though also a /ScratchDir option might be required it says as well.

-Thanks

Edited by kwjamesblond, 28 May 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

System Restore keeps all programs and settings intact. This is the best option if you have a recent Restore Point. A reset with the option to keep files would require you to reinstall all programs. Your personal files are kept intact. 

How could you prevent this from returning? Knowing Windows 10 as a service, you can't. The best thing you can do is keep a current disk image and file backups on a USB external drive using one of the following programs. They all allow you to create a rescue CD or USB flash drive. If you have a problem then you could boot the rescue media and recover the image from the USB external drive. All allow you to mount the disk image as a virtual drive so you can recover any data from the image.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus also allow file/folder backup in addition to disk image backup.

#9 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Maye the the only way to fix was to reinstall Windows, Microsoft finally released a solution. This problem is being caused by the February 13, 2018 update (KB4074588) and uninstalling the update immediately fixes the problem. If you have a mouse that still works like I did, you can also uninstall the update by going to Settings > Update and Security > View installed update history > Uninstall updates > then find "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4074588)" and uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users