Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Help choosing general purpose laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Laptop or Desktop?  --> LAPTOP

My budget for the new computer is: --> < $800

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
--> web surfing, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), streaming HD video, photo (not video) editing, watching DVD movies (DVDs from library), minimal programming using VBS & VBA

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
--> Windows 10, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photo editing with ACDSee 20, web browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox, TOR), CD/DVD software for external drive, misc. software that does not require high end graphics processing

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? --> NO

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
--> somewhat in between; may have several programs running at once such as Word, Excel, web browsers

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? --> YES; need HDD >= 500GB

Will you be overclocking? --> NO

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?  --> Roanoke, VA

How many monitors are you planning to use? --> existing ViewSonic VX2250w-LED, 22", VGA interface

Do you need peripherals? OS?

--> Windows 10; CD/DVD R/W drive;

--> use existing wireless Microsoft 850 keyboard + 1000 mouse with USB 2.0 interface

--> use existing external hard drives with USB 2.0 interface used for backup

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? --> My existing ASUS K52F (Windows 7) laptop is 7+ years old & I want to be prepared when it finally dies.

Other info:
- Screen size >= 14"   at least 1366 x 768 (HD)
- WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
- Microphone (in) & Headphone (out) jacks
- Touch screen not required
- at least 3 USB ports: existing Microsoft keyboard/mouse requires 2.0, external hard drives used for backups require 2.0

Questions:
(1) Laptops no longer come with CD/DVD drives. So I must purchase external CD/DVD drive that connects with USB? Which USB interface is used?
(2) USB - can my existing external external hard drives with USB 2.0 interface use USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 ports that come with today's laptops?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidmichaels

davidmichaels

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

Go for HP laptops they have some good options as per your requirements :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users