Laptop or Desktop? --> LAPTOP
My budget for the new computer is: --> < $800
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
--> web surfing, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), streaming HD video, photo (not video) editing, watching DVD movies (DVDs from library), minimal programming using VBS & VBA
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
--> Windows 10, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photo editing with ACDSee 20, web browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox, TOR), CD/DVD software for external drive, misc. software that does not require high end graphics processing
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? --> NO
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
--> somewhat in between; may have several programs running at once such as Word, Excel, web browsers
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? --> YES; need HDD >= 500GB
Will you be overclocking? --> NO
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? --> Roanoke, VA
How many monitors are you planning to use? --> existing ViewSonic VX2250w-LED, 22", VGA interface
Do you need peripherals? OS?
--> Windows 10; CD/DVD R/W drive;
--> use existing wireless Microsoft 850 keyboard + 1000 mouse with USB 2.0 interface
--> use existing external hard drives with USB 2.0 interface used for backup
Any particular reason why you are upgrading? --> My existing ASUS K52F (Windows 7) laptop is 7+ years old & I want to be prepared when it finally dies.
- Screen size >= 14" at least 1366 x 768 (HD)
- WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
- Microphone (in) & Headphone (out) jacks
- Touch screen not required
- at least 3 USB ports: existing Microsoft keyboard/mouse requires 2.0, external hard drives used for backups require 2.0
(1) Laptops no longer come with CD/DVD drives. So I must purchase external CD/DVD drive that connects with USB? Which USB interface is used?
(2) USB - can my existing external external hard drives with USB 2.0 interface use USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 ports that come with today's laptops?