Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Phenom II running hot?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rigel11

Rigel11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Hello bleepingcomputer people :)

I'm the happy owner of a computer sporting an AMD phenom II 965 processor on a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard. Despite a Noctua cpu cooler and a recent cleaning (I forgot about it past 6 or 7 years...) it seems to run pretty hot in some games.

Not long ago I moved it from a very closed and dusty case into the bottom of an Ikea PS cabinet.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10251451/#/50292317

To be exact it sits on a motherboard tray from an old case, with the shelf above it removed to give some breathing room. Aditionally I drilled a 114mm hole in the bottom of the cabinet and added a 120mm intake fan.

Still. Not-ideal airflow situation aside, the cpu sits at around 47-50c idle and will push past 60c (or even 65) in games like GTA 5. From what I've googled my way to this isn't great for a phenom II. I know better airflow somehow might help, but I'm curious about voltage too.

According to HWMonitor and CPU-Z the cpu vcore fluctuates between 1.408 and 1.440. Isn't this kind of high? What should I watch out for if I try to lower it?

While moving it I also realized the RAM in it are actually rated at 1.65v, while the motherboard is rated at 1.5v. Presumably the motherboard has kept them at 1.5v all this time, but does this influence cpu vcore in any way...?

Also, does thermal paste degrade over time? It's been 8 years since I put this together and it has a lot of hours on it, but I'd like to keep it stable and reliable until I decide on my next system. It's never been OCed and nothing else in there seems to get -particularly- hot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Yes thermal paste does degrade, some only last 3 years max.

Also get a proper case for that, you need something with airflow especially with those old Phenoms.

Even with a water cooler setup it will need something to breathe from.

Never put electronics in enclosed spaces like that, its bad enough a lot of modern cases forget about simple things like airflow.

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 May 2018 - 11:33 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

remove cpu heatsink/fan assembly....clean and re-apply new thermal paste

#4 Rigel11

Rigel11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

New thermal paste from Noctua saw an improvement at idle of 2-4c, at roughly the same ambient temp. The old stuff on there was definitely starting to dry along the edges. Took the door off for the time being, at least until I decide where to make more holes.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Well its still a cainent you got from Ikea.

I mean I understand you live in denmark and all and there are not too many brick and mortar or even E tailers there but that kind of setup will not do well for long.

Amazon.de is where I would go for a case here and have it shpped, sure it may mean it will cost more but proper airflow is needed on hardware like this.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users