Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Passport Troubles post Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chiefkeat

Chiefkeat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Hi

I recently updated my windows 10 32bit to windows 10 64bit. I used the windows update tool to download the OS to my external harddrive. Once downloaded, I set the USB as priority boot in the BIOS settings and got windows 10 64bit no problem. 

The problem is when i go to use my passport after like a normal USB. A) I've lost all my files on there. B)Its dropped from a 1TB harddrive to 37.1GB

Any help would be much appreciated seeing how i need the harddrive for work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

It's sounds like you installed Windows 10 to the USB external drive. Are you saying if you select your USB external to boot it will boot to Windows 10? I think your files are gone. You cannot update 32bit to 64bit without doing a complete install, losing all your programs and data in the process.

Download Testdisk and run the program. Do a QuickSearch on the USB external, Highlight any partitions found and press the "P" key. Do you see your lost files? If no partitions are found then do a deeper search. This will take awhile. If no partitions are found you will need to scan the drive with Recovery Software.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Download the 32bit version even if your OS is 64bit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users