Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doubts on software and PC care

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SlayerL

SlayerL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:54 AM

Hello Everyone, first of all I am new to this forum so if I do something wrong or any mistake please tell and I will correct it :) I joined because it is a really useful site.

Second, sorry if I make any mistakes in my English, it's my second language.

And last, I'd like to clarify that my PC is mostly for Gaming porposes. My hardware and setup are in such a way directed to high-end gaming. If this is of any use to know.

I downloaded IObit Advanced System Care and it's Uninstaller because I wanted to try and see how it worked. I configured it and all and made it full clean the PC. I seems it did clean, but i feel like it is too agressive, to say it corrupted many of my game folders and had to re-install it, but it was probably my mistake too. So i was searching on the internet about if it is a good program to have or not, and so i got to this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572589/what-think-about-advanced-system-care-good-or-not-good/

Which I read and got to the conclusion that after all i should not have it because I didn't even need it, and it may do or have done more harm than any good. So Aura in his reply he advices to delete the program and stay away from any related of these type.

In my PC i have always used Malwarebytes and CCleaner, which i fully trust and find really useful. So here are my doubts:

1.I know I should delete ASC and it's Uninstaller (which i downloaded from ASC), but should I use a trusted uninstaller like Revo to fully delete it, or do i just use CCleaner and that's it?

2.How can i be sure that these programs have not done any damage to my system and that's everything's ok? And if they did, how can i make sure that's everythings working perfectly?

3. I'd like to be sure that Malwarebytes and CCleaner are really good programs to use, so do you people recommend them? What other trusted program can you recommend me? (Noticing the difference between real working programs like CCleaner and "scam" or "nonworking" like ASC)

4. I use Avira as my main antivirus and it seems it works just fine, but in the past i have always used Avast. Which one is best to use, based on recommendations?

5. I had installed it's Driver Booster too, but I just ran it once, updated the drivers and then uninstalled it. Could this have done any harm?

6. Also, these programs cleaned the registry, exactly which Aura specifically adviced to not to do. Should I revert it somehow? Or how do I make sure it hasn't broke anything?

7. So, should i use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall them?

Those are my questions, sorry if i am annoying, i am a bit too careful with these things of keeping the PC working as perfectly as possible

Everything things to be working just fine, I see no sign of trouble. But i am asking these things because it worries me those programs could have done any harm that is not visible or easily noticeable.

Can you recommend me on any really useful and trustable software to install on my PC, to make it work hard but safely? (Or anything Gaming-related too if any)

And any tools, rutines, "ways of using the PC", to ensure that it is always in good shape?

I understand there is no programs that can make magic to the system, but it is good usage that can maintain it safe and working correctly.

Here i leave, in case it is necessary:

My PC Specs (Speccy): https://justpaste.it/3q8uv

List of installed software on my PC (Listed by CCleaner, in slight Spanish): https://justpaste.it/58o1c

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone can help me and answer all my doubts. I know it is not something terrible but i am worried because i am usually very careful. Thanks if you read all of this :P

I summon Aura to this post... You're cool man.

Kudos :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:34 AM

Welcome to BC...

Sure...use Revo for a more complete uninstall of ALL IObit products.

CCleaner is very useful and has some useful Tools. It is recommended to not use its or any other registry cleaner.

Suggest you use AdwCleaner and your Malwarebytes to find and remove adware that IObit likely installed. Check your add-ons in your browsers, too.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

You may have illegal software on your computer...possibly Windows 10 or a Microsoft Office product.

Suggest you uninstall these: (Use Revo)

Java 8 Update 171 Oracle Corporation 24/5/2018 100 MB 8.0.1710.11 (Most users don't need Java)
KMSpico 17/1/2018 15,7 MB

I would suggest using only Windows Defender's security program instead of any other such as Avast or Avira. That

will lessen the chance of a severe problem when upgrading Windows 10. Using WD along with Malwarebytes should be good enough.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 SlayerL

SlayerL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

Hey Buddy! Thanks for your response :D I will do as you said.

The only problem is... I am a very impatient person so I thought it wouldn't be wrong to just uninstall those IObit programs with CCleaner. Results that, as you said, I should have used Revo Uninstaller. So now to fix this I downloaded the Trial version of Revo Uninstaller and i'm gonna give it a run to see if it cleans something that CCleaner may have left behind. Is this OK? Should I do anything more?

Yes, I noticed that KMSpico software there. Probably related to my Windows 10 installation. Problem is that, to fix it, I'd have to reinstall the entire OS right?

I have a question, why would Java be harmful? I mean, yes probably i don't need it, but i don't see it may do any harm. Going to delete it as you said though.

The problem I have related to WD and MWB is that I only have the Free version of MWB and I just feel like it's not enough, I mean it does not have Real-Time protection that I need. The Premium version looks way better but sadly i can't buy it. And so using only Free MWB and WD feels like weak to me, I don't know. But if you say it is probably enough I trust you, also i'm really careful so i don't think I'd have any problems. I use Avira or Avast because I feel them necessary, If i had the Premium MWB i wouldn't use them. I hope I explained clearly. I never felt like WD may be enough, I've always used extra Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software. Obviously not more than one of each type at the same time, I now there can be issues about compatibility between them. So, what should i do here? Do I keep Avira or still delete it?

And, I found another problem, it is not related to the other issues but it is annoying, so maybe you can help me fix it because i couldn't. My start menu shortcuts are broken. For example, if i search "Spotify" and press enter it just opens it normally. But if i type "Corsair Utility Engine" the program shows on the start menu, but if i press enter it does not run it, and it doesn't let me right-click it neither. So that's why I guess the shortcut may be broken. And also, there are a lot of programs in my start menu I deleted and don't have anymore but it's shortcuts are still there, and obviously they are broken like i said with CUE's shortcut (which i do have installed) Any solutions to this?

Here I post the contents of ADWcleaner's log file: https://justpaste.it/7fqj7

I read it and ADW did find leftovers of the uninstallation, probably because I used CCleaner instead of Revo. Makes sense.
It seems that was the only thing it found as harmful. So I guess everything seems to be fine, but i want to be completely sure.

Thanks for your help and patience :) Yes, I am kind of a maniac related to security. So, sorry if I'm a bit annoying :P.

Going to be waiting to your response :D.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

This article may be helpful to you concerning your mouse and keyboard.

Fix: Corsair Utility Engine Update Error - Appuals.com

Edited by buddy215, 28 May 2018 - 05:51 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hi, SlayerL!

There is a newer version of Malwarebytes available, 3.5.1.2522, which you easily can obtain by following these instructions:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1125

Make sure to uncheck the 14-day Premium Trial if being prompted, in order to keep Malwarebytes Free.

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 SlayerL

SlayerL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:56 AM

Hey!

midimusicman79, thanks for your advice! Going to update it.

buddy215, thanks for the article, it may help me because they stop working sometimes, but nothing really problematic. I think you may have misunderstood me or probably I didn't explain myself properly. My problem is that the shortcuts on the start menu don't work. Some of them do, like CUE's (that's why i mentioned it) but some of the rest don't. And also i see on my start menu shortcuts from programs that i've uninstalled and they still appear when i search for something, and they shouldn't be there because there is no more shortcut to those programs, because i uninstalled them.

And what about the issue related to IObit? I guess you have read the log and came to the same conclusion as me. ADWcleaner cleaned the leftovers of OIbit after CCleaner deleted the program. That is it, right?

And what about Avira? Do you think I should only use Windows Defender still if I only have the Free Malwarebytes?

Thanks for the responses guys, and sorry if i'm being insistent :)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

Yes, there is always the option to use Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus) which includes anti-virus and anti-malware protection that provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. Microsoft has incorporated a number of significant improvements which make it competitive with other major anti-virus vendors.

For more specific information about Windows Defender, see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 SlayerL

SlayerL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the info Bleepin' Janitor :)

Now what I learnt is: From now on I will only use Windows 10 Defender as Real-time antivirus as my main protection and I will keep Malwarebytes Free as backup, just to be sure. (Is it even necessary?). This will make my PC startup and work faster, because most Antivirus programs are a heavy load. If W10D has improved as much, I think it will be enough. I'll just delete Avira and use W10D.

About the things I asked before, I cleaned my PC fully of any rests of ASC and everything seems to be working fine. The only thing that I'd like to fix is the corrupted shortcuts of the start menu, it is not really a problem but it is a bit annoying.

All other problems seem to be fixed and everything is working fine.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Has your Windows 10 Start menu stopped working? How to fix it
How to fix Windows 10 Start Menu
How to fix your Windows 10 start menu (reset tile database)

If the above suggestions do not help, then I recommend you start a new topic in the Windows 10 Support Forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users