Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezing with Black Squares and making a shriek noise?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

My computer has been an excellent build I did a few years ago. However, within the last week it has been causing me some great concern.

After being on for anywhere from an hour a more it may just freeze with black squares on the screen while making a loud shriek. It is kind of scary.

I am very concerned and would like to know what may be causing this and how I can go about fixing it.

I am using it right now. I have opened it up and resetted everything. It is working fine right now but it usually does at first.

It asked me to make sure that the RAID (2 120GB SSDs) was on after going inside it. I did that and I am using now, as I said.

So, anyone knowing what this might be and how to make sure that it goes away that could let me know how to do that would be great.

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

first verify CPU & GPU fans are spinning & check temperatures for both.

anytime you get video distortions it's either GPU or GPU ram.   if GPU fan is spinning then I would start by trouble shooting the video card.

update drivers.

if drivers don't fix it, next:

pull and try a different card or onboard video if you motherboard has it.  if problem goes away then issue is the video card.

if it still has issues then you move to CPU & RAM.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

I am using the motherboard video. After opening the computer and reseating everything I have not have an issue with this so far, for the last week. Knock on wood!

I did also clean the vent filters between the fans and the outside of the computer, not to dirty but some.

So, it is working so far. I'll let you now if anything changes.

Thanks for the input!

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

my hp laptop was doing the same kind of thing, i just had to clean vents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users