Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homegroup - Cannot Open Libraries on One Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional and a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

My desktop has all my files and documents.

I set up a Homegroup between the desktop and laptop so that I can use the laptop out in the workshop and access my reference material that I keep on the desktop.

On the desktop, when I go to My Computer - Homegroup I click on the laptop icon, then the documents library and the documents library opens up and gives me access to the few documents that I have on the laptop. No problem.

When I click on Network it shows me icons for my pc and laptop. When I click on laptop I get the icon Users Share. That brings up my files on the laptop. No problem.

On the laptop, when I go to My Computer - Homegroup I click on the pc icon, then when I click on the documents library icon I get the hourglass momentarily and then nothing happens. Same with the other libraries.

When I click on Network it shows me icons for my pc and laptop. When I click on pc I get a pop-up that says Windows Security. Enter your password to connect to pc. See photo. I put in my Homegroup password and get the error: unknown user name or bad password. That must be what's hanging things up.

I have no clue as to where to go from there. I've set the Homegroup on both computers not to require passwords.

I don't use passwords to log on to my computers and I don't recall every having a "network password" or being asked for one until now.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

I don't believe that you have to use Homegroup at all.  My Win 7 systems (1 laptop, 1 desktop) automatically see each other as networked, with full access...and I don't bother with Homegroup...I just click the Network icon.

All computers are part of a workgroup I set up for my XP install.

I was under the impression that Homegroup requires use of a password (the same password provided by one of the systems), while simply using the Network icon does not.

FWIW:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/homegroup-asking-for-network-password-when/02508c8a-df8e-4c68-8034-0719a7e5a187 .

More Possible Explanations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#3 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

I've worked through a bunch of those suggestions with no luck.

I'll keep at it.

Thanks.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:57 AM

Have you verified that on the computers in the group that the date/time are accurate - including on each system (one at a time of course) synchronizing the time on each:

Edited by joseibarra, 28 May 2018 - 12:57 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

The time thing worked.

Occam's Razor. The simplest solution is often the best solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users