Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zinstall claims it can restore my XP system to a Win 10 machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Carbonite has discontinued its mirror image backup option. Carbonite has been steadily going into the toilet over the past few years, so I am happy to move to something better, if there is something better.

I recently saw an ad for Zinstall. It claims that it can backup my entire system including the the software and reinstall it to a different machine with a different OS. I find this hard to believe. Is this even possible?

http://www.zinstall.com/

Is there a good backup option out there for Windows machines? I am sick of Carbonite.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

It claims that it can backup my entire system including the the software and reinstall it to a different machine with a different OS.

why not just do that yourself?

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

One of the best around is Macrium Reflect. I have been using the free edition for years and never been disappointed once. Making a full image backup of your main partition is bulletproof, and literally takes 3 clicks of the mouse. All images are fully accessible for data access. I always keep at least 4 images as I go, sometimes I have to access an older image for retrieving some data I accidentally deleted. The paid version has full incremental backup, but I don't need that. Works every time.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

It claims that it can backup my entire system including the the software and reinstall it to a different machine with a different OS.

why not just do that yourself?

Because it's well-nigh impossible to reinstall machine's entire ecosystem on to another machine that is running a different OS.

Sure, you can copy user data, and reasonably easily, but I challenge anyone to lift all of their programs from a Windows machine and drop them on to say, a Mac, and have them work.  [And I'm not counting virtual environments in any way.]  Same for Windows to Linux (or vice versa) or Mac to Linux (or vice versa).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users