Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to continue using well-known security software now being abandoned?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hi all!

Most, if not all, well-known security software are still being frequently updated in order to provide their comprehensive active and passive real-time multi-layered protection against various types of malware.

However, a few of the said security software, for example WinPatrol FREE/PLUS and CryptoPrevent Free Edition, are now effectively being abandoned AKA abandonware.

In practice, this means that they neither will receive any bug fixes nor any new functionalities in the future.

And hence, my question is as follows;

Is it safe to continue using well-known security software now being abandoned?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 May 2018 - 11:57 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

If the above do not use definition files then I think it would be safe to keep using them as long as you are not running Windows 10. If running Windows 10 forget it because Windows 10 changes every 6 months and even current AV vendors have trouble keeping up. 

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

the easiest thing to do is just use windows defender

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi, JohnC_21 and mikey11!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

@ JohnC_21: The two specifically above-mentioned security software do not use definition files, but personally, I actually happen to use Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

However, I have had both said security software ever since Windows 10 was first launched, nevertheless, as far as I am concerned, they continue to work properly after each and every version upgrade.

@ mikey11: With all due respect, I am quite satisfied with my Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and as such, I will extend my three-year licence in approximately two weeks.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 26 May 2018 - 08:44 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

@ mikey11: With all due respect, I am quite satisfied with my Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and as such, I will extend my three-year licence in approximately two weeks.

it's your dime, not mine

i don't like paying for things that i can get for free

#6 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Using security software that is outdated doesn't make complete sense. If the software isn't updated, how will it protect you against the latest threats? Just my opinion.
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

I would say that it depends on the security product. Although WinPatrol offers a lot of extra features, it is still a good startup manager which also takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur...i.e. changes in programs that run at startup (added/removed).

We already addressed CryptoPrevent Free in another topic so we know the features in the last free version will continue to provide protection vice not using it at all. It may not prevent future threats but a lot of it's current prevention features are more generic anyway so it cannot hurt by leaving it in place.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi, mikey11, iMacg3 & quietman7!

Thank you all for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

Certainly, most, if not all, Windows 10 users prefer using Windows Defender 10 Anti-Virus as their primary real-time security software, both since it is free and gradually improving, but I do not, as I prefer using paid Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware as my primary real-time security software.

When I purchased WinPatrol PLUS, I made a one-time payment for a lifetime license, and each and every time OneDrive automatically uninstalls and re-installs itself, WinPatrol pops up with a warning and confirmation dialogue box, which is the most frequent occasion to watch WinPatrol in action.

Since I use [Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Acronis True Image 2018 and Windows Firewall], [WinPatrol PLUS, CryptoPrevent Free, SpywareBlaster Free, Malwarebytes 3 Free and Unchecky] are additional security software to strengthen my active and passive protection against various types of malware.

As such, I do not use WinPatrol PLUS and CryptoPrevent Free as my primary security software.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 27 May 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

I don't use them as my primary security solutions either but for now I still use both.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Sorry for initially not being clear as to how I use WinPatrol PLUS and CryptoPrevent Free, because it seems like most of the initial discussion unintentionally was centered around Anti-Virus software rather than additional security software.

Moreover, I think you and I are the only members in this topic to actually use said security software, although none of the other helpers specify whether they do or not. :whistle:

And as you all know, I share my security configuration in my signature, but I only use abbreviations rather than full names, and besides, I only mention them, but not how I use them.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

You're welcome.

#12 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

Using security software that is outdated doesn't make complete sense. If the software isn't updated, how will it protect you against the latest threats? Just my opinion.

Hmmm...how old has to be security app to be consiedered "outdated" and how offen should be updatet to not to be?

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hi again, all!

Sorry, I forgot to include that I also use Kaspersky Software Updater as additional security software.

Edit: @ ichito: As for your question, I see quietman7 has provided you with an excellent answer, so please read on... :lol:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 02 June 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hmmm...how old has to be security app to be consiedered "outdated" and how offen should be updatet to not to be?

Again it depends on the security application. If the program is no longer supported and required frequent updating, then it will be outdated rather quickly. If it did not require frequent updating, then it can continued to be used for a longer period until a suitable replacement is found.

#15 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

I did not realize we were talking about security software that doesn't use definition files, like WinPatrol. Sorry about that.

Moreover, I think you and I are the only members in this topic to actually use said security software, although none of the other helpers specify whether they do or not. :whistle:

I use WinPatrol, but not CryptoPrevent. WinPatrol has a lot of useful features that I like.

quietman7 provided you with an excellent answer about this in the post above mine.

Edited by iMacg3, 02 June 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users