Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying 3tb from internal/external to external very slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dmtmind

dmtmind

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

its windows 10

nothing else is open that could be taxing the pc

its a Seagate ironwolf thats inside the machine bought within the last 6 months. i recently bought a 16TB Western digital

the speed goes up and down but it usually says its gonna take a day to copy 300 gigs from internal to external.

https://imgur.com/a/ulHUByx

this is what it looks like in Device manager

how do i go about checking if my ports are fast enough

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

How long is it taking?

I suggest you read this article (even though several years old, what it says still holds):  https://www.pcworld.com/article/2360306/usb-3-0-speed-real-and-imagined.html

When you combine the fact that copy actions typically get low priority if the OS has anything else to do, you're dealing with a platter drive, and you're copying 300GB of data that means it's going to take a while.  I'd be shocked if you could get this done in under 30 minutes, even if it's all you're doing, and it will probably take significantly longer than that.

The time estimates shown for the copy command for this much data should never be trusted and virtually never take as long as the estimate.  The larger the amount of data the shakier the estimate.  The actual transfer speed during a long copy such as this will zig-zag all over the place depending on what the hard drives are doing and what the OS needs to be doing besides the copy, which is always quite a bit.

If you're actually trying to copy 3 TB this will take a very long time, hours and hours at least.

Edited by britechguy, 26 May 2018 - 09:42 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 dmtmind

dmtmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

https://imgur.com/a/o9NfQNg

thats roughly it

i started at 8

ok good so im not crazy then

i should also mention that i did s.m.a.r.t test on both disks and the other tests with the software for the HD and they both came back clean

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

It should only take about 5 hours to copy 1 terabyte.

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dmtmind

dmtmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

i know it doesnt usually take this long when i copy over other bleep

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

It should only take about 5 hours to copy 1 terabyte.

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do

A very important proviso from that page, critical, I'd say:  "The speeds are optimistic because the actual inferface will be slowed down by overhead (ex: requests for the information, syncs, ...), more than one transfer at a time, and the interface not performing at the standard speed."

Their figures are definitely on the "optimistic" side, though still useful in terms of having some frame of reference.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

I agree Brian, that is why when I copy a large file I let it copy over night while I am sleeping. That way there are no concerns about how long it takes.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users