Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to buy/build a new pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Finky

Finky

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

Hi everyone and happy Memorial day weekend to everyone from the US and happy weekend to everyone else

As the title goes, not exactly sure which way I'll go as of yet. Desktop I'm currently using I built for the most part but that was 7 years ago and friends helped with the wiring which I know I'll have trouble with. I recently installed a cpu fan as the temp was causing it to shut down and I've done RAM/HDD upgrades so I wouldn't be against building but it's been a while

It's also that if I want to game with the best of them, water cooling seems to be the way to go. I do get some pretty nice discounts on Alienware through work and have read the positive and negative reviews. Big companies are bound to have some screwups but want to make sure they'd be worth it

I did build one on pcpartspicker and configured two Alienware specs, but wanted to provide the template first

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $1,600

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Gaming (if it's powerful enough for that it can handle browsing, email, etc)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Steam, GOG for starters.Other programs of course but typical for any pc I suppose

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? MMORPG but also single-player. Would like the opportunity to try different types regardless

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I'll close more resource intensive if needed

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes, but also have an external SDD and Google Drive

Will you be overclocking? Don't know much about that. Perhaps with help & advice but am cautious

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? New Jersey

How many monitors are you planning to use? One, but am open to two. Can always swing back to that

Do you need peripherals? OS? Can use current peripherals to cut down on cost initially. Is there a big difference between 10 Home and Pro? Pro does allow disabling of different programs not needed?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Great time to buy with holiday deals and felt it's time to upgrade with gpu prices finally down

Edited by Finky, 26 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Finky

Finky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

Through my work, I can save $412 on a pre-built Aurora R7

Intel Core i7 8700K

Alienware™ 460 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X

16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s

Qualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1

DW1820 Wireless Driver

1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

$1,619.63 after taxes. Free expedited or standard shipping

There is a slightly cheaper model for $1,421.00 but air cooled

They seem to be pretty upgradeable for the most part without voiding warranty and having one source for support is nice. Keeping my options open before spending any amount of money as I can be pretty indecisive at times

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Do you need peripherals? OS? Can use current peripherals to cut down on cost initially. Is there a big difference between 10 Home and Pro? Pro does allow disabling of different programs not needed?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Great time to buy with holiday deals and felt it's time to upgrade with gpu prices finally down

Not much difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro in home use.

GPU prices are far from "down". I suggest waiting for some time unless you are ready to spend.

That liquid cooled PSU sounds pretty much waste for me. Do you know any other shops on your area that can build PC?

#4 Finky

Finky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Hey Drillingmachine, thanks for responding

Good to know I can get the Home version. As for gpu prices I meant in terms of mining, but only what I've heard when everything was out of stock.

Is it the psu itself, or that model liquid cooling? 

Have found some shops around but what worries me is if they go under where do I go for support?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Prices are still very high as mining boom is not totally ended.

Liquid cooling is not very suitable for PSU. Especially when considering possible leaks...

That's problem with shops yeah. You probably can still put individual parts to manufacturer's warranty. Not much I can do about it but I can still advice what to buy.

#6 Finky

Finky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

That's too bad but hope it comes down soon.

What's your experience with liquid cooling? Long as I find the right fans and good airflow on a case I'm good with sticking to that, it'd just be nice to not have to worry but one leak and it's done for.

Appreciate the suggestions and will stick with that.

This is what I've put together so far without a case, included wired adapter and sound card https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Finky/saved/#view=gvNBP6

I know cases are more of a personal preference but any starters you'd recommend? Not sure whether I want to go mid, full or gaming case. I guess if I'm spending this much why not show it off but more interested in the components themselves

What was suggested to me without a case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kfqwgw

Edited by Finky, 27 May 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

About that liquid cooling. There are passively cooled 460W PSU's. Cooling 460W PSU with air cooling (fan) is ridiculously easy. So why would anyone put water cooling to PSU where water or almost any liquid would cause major damage? That liquid cooled 460W PSU is strictly speaking stupidest idea I've heard for a long time.

Generally about liquid cooling. Unless you want to overclock heavily, air cooling is cheaper and it also more hassle free.

You don't need sound card or network adapter, both already on motherboard.

I would also consider M.2 SSD and perhaps even different CPU. Intel's CPU's will slow down when upcoming Spectre 3a/Spectre 4 patches are released. Spectre 5 and beyond may be around corner. Enough reason to avoid all Intel CPU's right now.

For case, it just depends on what you want. Mid tower cases are OK if not interested about aesthetics. Full towers have more room to mess with components.

Video card prices are still very high. You also didn't say what monitor you'll be using. That's very important when considering video card. high end video card also need good monitor.

Lastly, Nvidia is releasing new cards in some time. When that happens, GTX1080 will lose it's value very rapidly. As AMD Vega (56 or 64) is much more future proof and costs about same, that's better choice. It's also not bad idea to wait until prices calm down.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 27 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#8 Finky

Finky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

That's good to know I wouldn't need one and am honestly fine with fans. I'm definitely not planning on heavily oc'ing so less of an issue.

I'll look at the new M.2 drives. Amazing they're moving to what they look like but love how it's changing. Surprised at the huge price difference between 250gb & 500gb compared to 1tb, at least from Amazon's site. Wouldn't mind being patient until prices come down or some deal but something to consider.

As for the Spectre patches, what has been the experiences of previous versions? How much is expected? I don't mind waiting a little while, but will more refined patches be released once this all cools down?

Those Vega cards look nice and impressive performance but I don't know as much about. 56 is comparable to a 1070 and 64 seems extremely expensive.

Perhaps at Computex/E3 will clear things up with the upcoming GTX

Haven't actually decided on a monitor yet but have been reading up on reviews. Feel like I might have to buy the actual pc first and the monitor a few weeks later on my next paycheck. Reading up on reviews from these two

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-gaming-monitor

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-monitors/

Between gpu's and cpu's how long do you think? Will the new GTX cards make that much of a leap to wait a long period?

I've waited so long it's not like another few weeks will make a difference, but now that I can I want to really invest in something. Been down this path in the past and want to make good on what I've been putting off for a few years.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Latest Spectre patch will reduce performance 2-8% says Intel. Previous spectre patches were about same and Meltdown patch was generally somewhere between 0% and 40%, theretically 800% penalty is achievable.

Vega cards are popular amongst cryptominers, so watch prices carefully.

It really doesn't matter what exact monitor you buy. What matters is resolution (1080p, 1440p, 4K) and refresh rate (60Hz, 75Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, over 144).

Current Intel CPU's potentially have even more bugs that will slow down them later. That's why AMD is much safer choice. Not to mention AMD platforms upgrade paths are miles better.

Without monitor or even knowing what kind of monitor you'll have, it makes no sense buying computer. So decide that first.

#10 Finky

Finky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

The single % points are quite the slowdown alone. 40% is insane, I'd hope no one had to face that! 

I'm ok with sticking to NVidia even if it costs a little more. Seems to be more refined in the long run.

Have a few ideas at 1080p/1440p but not really looking at 4k due to price and where the technology's at. 

Alienware AW2518H (25in) for a 1080p TN with 240Hz. Price has come down to $329 on some sites compared to $450.

For 1440p I'm looking at three currently,

Asus ROG PG279Q (27in) is expensive but IPS with a 144Hz

Aoc Agon AG241QG (24in) if I wanted to spend a little less with a smaller screen size, slower refresh rate but keep 1440p

Dell 24 S2417DG (24in) 1440p and 165Hz.

Surprised me finding a regular Dell on there but reviews look good. Would love to get a widescreen but they're so expensive and would tax the computer more then what I'm building it for I think.

I switched to Ryzen 7 2700 3.2ghz and saved about $100 which I'm thinking about pairing with a MSI X470 Gaming plus.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

That 40% is more common on servers.

On long run AMD is better because AMD is much better on DX12/Vulkan software.

I wouldn't take better (more expensive) card than GTX1070 on current prices. It's somewhat enough for 1440p and 120+ Hz displays.

Edited by Platypus, 30 May 2018 - 07:26 AM.
Took out quote as no longer needed, post moved to its own topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users