Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 - clock doesn't stay accurate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 capricorntony13

capricorntony13

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hello, 

I could really use some help. My laptop has Win7 and it doesn't seem to keep an accurate clock. When I turn off the laptop, it seems that the date and time of the bootdown seems to freeze. When I boot it up again, the aforementioned time is the current time. I have to manually update the time via internet time settings. I am convinced that it is a virus. What can I do to fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2018 - 04:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Inaccurate time displays are a common symptom when the RTC/CMOS battery is failing.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

Most likely cause and first variable to remove from the equation which makes up the issue - CMOS battery on the system/motherboard which some say last 3-5 years. 

It might be time to replace yours and that is usually pretty easy to do.

Why don't you tell us some information about your system and perhaps a manual/video can be located about how to go about replacing the CMOS battery.

Approximately how old is the laptop?

What is your system make and model?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?
If the system is an HP what is the serial number?
If the system is an Toshiba what is the serial number?

If you are not sure of the system details do this:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Describe your antivirus/antimalware environment.

Note that just because some AV program doesn't find any problems or report any threats doesn't mean there aren't any threats to be found.

It just means the AV program didn't find anything that it knows about and no AV seems to know about everything.

While it is not a good idea to have two different AV programs with real time protection installed at the same time, it is prudent to use more than one respectable program for scanning.

Edited by joseibarra, 26 May 2018 - 08:11 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users