Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need your opinion guys on PC upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xavv

xavv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

Hello there, I've traded a cheap motorbike to my cousin for a somewhat decent gaming rig (or so I think) as I don't have the wallet to buy one from scratch. This is what I got:

Motherboard: Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
CPU: FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 GTS
RAM: 32 GB Kingston HyperX FURY (4x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black
Power Supply: EVGA 850 B3, 80+ BRONZE 850W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB 
HDD: 1.25 TB ( 2x 3.5' 500GB WD 5600rpm and 1x 2.5' 250GB WD)

As of right now I have around $300 bucks as I just sold my PS4 to upgrade this. Keep in mind I have no CPU Case and a crappy old monitor (e-machines E182H) I also have an LCD TV (Vizio E420-A0) that I could use to plug in the PC if necessary. So I was thinking in getting a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC Armor 6GB which is around $300 bucks and just buy whatever cheapest CPU Case I could find. Is this the right move to make? I could also get a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB a friend of mine is selling for $100 bucks less, $200 and spare that $100 on something else but what could I buy with $100 to improve my PC? Take in consideration I am not a money maker, so I am not going to have money to spend on this for the next 10 months or so, could be more or could be less. Or should I just simply keep the gtx 660 and upgrade some other things? although doing that will just get me stuck in poor V.Ram for the next year probably so I am not sure this is the right move. What do you guys think?

I am not sure this is important but I also have no gaming keyboard or mouse. I do have a regular keyboard and mouse but no extreme dpi or anything. I don't think this is important as I am not a hardcore gamer nor I play competitive games like Fortnite, LoL or PUBG. I am more into single player games which I end up playing with a controller or MMORPG. Games like Skyrim, FarCry 4 and 5, Dishonored 2, Borderlands, The Witcher 3, the rise of Tomb Raider. these are some of the games I would love to play. Do you think it matters if I have those gaming keyboards and mouses? all I know is I have $300, and I am leaning towards the gtx 1060 but I am not a geek so what would you spare my 300 on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:49 AM

GTX1060 is worth at most $200, used GTX970 at most $120. Anything above those prices are waste.

Current prices are simply ridiculous because of cryptominers. Since you are short of cash and both your monitors are pretty bad (better card won't help much), only good option is to wait until GPU prices fall. Also consider buying better monitor.

However I noticed you have 32GB DDR3 that is also very pricey right now. I would sell 16B or even 24GB from that amount unless you really need that much memory. And then you could get more money for future upgrade.

#3 xavv

xavv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Oh wow thanks for the tip on the RAM, thank you, I think I'll sell some!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yeah the GTX 1060 isnt worth $300, $250 for the 6 gig model? yes but not $300

But yes sell that RAM, sell that GPU too and I would get like a GTX1050 or something.

The 1050 is back down to normal pricing again in some places, this one here isnt too bad:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-GDDR5-Graphic-GV-N1050OC-2GD/dp/B01MG0733A/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PTPM9667TDCKC5ZGK615

The 1050 should be good enough, its a good card for its asking price as some 1060's are way overpriced still.

You dont want to go too high end with pairing it with that FX-8350.

I mean it wont be too good at rise of the toumb raider (you will have to use low settings probably) but the rest of your games should be okay.

If you need a case there are plenty of good budget options.

What at maximum are you willing to pay for your case?

Also do in the future invest in a SSD as well, dont have to do it now but its a great idea to give performance to your system that way overall not just in gaming

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 May 2018 - 04:04 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users