Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Chrome CPU usage and Google search

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 panial

panial

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been googling about my problems and this site seems to be the place to go when you suspect malware is in your system. My problems have been persistent for a couple months already.

The two things I could pinpoint so far:

- First, google search is asking me most of the times to complete a captcha to proceed with my search with a message saying there have been too many requests from my IP. Sometimes I have also been redirected to www.searchinquire.com when searching from the address bar. There's also some redirecting and popping windows every now and then in specific sites that could be related to the problem.

- Second. Every now and then I see my Chromes CPU usage in the Task manager reach as high as 70% (in a Phenom 1100T - 6 cores 3.3GHz) when it's pretty much idle, with 1 or two tabs opened to Google home. When expanding the Chrome task I see there's one in specific taking 69%, while all other chrome related tasks keep idle. It's as there was a coin miner running from Chrome or something.

My chrome's only extension is uBlock origin, with no Themes or anything added to the vanilla installation.

So far I've tried de-syncing my Google account to chrome, deleting all synced data in google servers, deleting cache and all browsing info in chrome, resetting settings, deleted Chrome and any Chrome related folder I could find in programs, appdata, etc.

I've also had Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner and Defender running periodically and finding nothing. First time I ran Malwarebytes/ADWCleaner a month or so back it could find some PUP infected files in my Chrome appdata folder. Since then I've removed it, reset Sync, reinstalled Chrome and scans don't show any infections.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Help and advice are appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hello, we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users