Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Dirty Games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

May not be breaking news, but I just saw it:
Norton/Symantec is playing a very dirty game telling users to uninstall Spybot. Read this:
http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

One more reason NOT to by Symantec products.
The poll in the forums sure seems one sided. :thumbsup:
Poll thread

I like GT500's way of thinking:

.... I say detect them completely. Better to have a fool-proof method of removing Norton than using Symantec's uninstall utilities ....

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

No time to read it all, but I particularily like posts #7, 21, 24 and 25 with this memorable line

The original products written for the IBM PC by Peter Norton were first class and ground breaking technology in their time. I have several of Peter's books and found him an excellent teacher - somebody who OBVIOUSLY really knew what he was doing. Unfortunately, once Symantec got hold of the Norton name, the rot well and truly set in. The Symantec suite of products are now garbage - overly invasive bloatware.

Having used Peter Norton's books long ago, I can't agree more.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

Unfortunately this sort of thing will probably continue to happen with the larger commercial AV's. McAfee used to do similar:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...=1207&st=40

Because of the arrogance of the Big Two (McAfee and Symantec), I've avoided recommending them, altho I've tried to be objective--any AV is better than no AV. But at least McAfee corrected their snafu: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89522

Symantec seems to be even worse at refusing to listen to their customer base. They have no support forum that i know of. If McAfee hadn't had a forum that fielded many complaints, I doubt if they would have listened either.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users