Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~~Gateway Netbook L20~~Wireless driver??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

Gateway netbook...modelL20. Has Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I am trying to get this machine to go wireless on internet. Can't seem to find a driver ,etc. to get this little machine on the internet. DEVICE MANAGER show:

Atheos AR 8132 PCI Ethernet Controller......Working. Driver is 1.0.0.17

Edited by jake21, 25 May 2018 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

That is your Ethernet adapter, not your Wifi. Is there another listing in Device Manager under Network Adapters, possibly with a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

Right click the device, select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware Ids in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Under network controller I have

Qualcomm HS-USB  it has yellow exclamation.  I right clicked..hardware id:

USB\VID_05c6&PID_9211&rev_0001

USB\VID_05c6&PID_9211

that's the only two lines under hardware ID

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

That doesn't look like any kind of Wifi Device. Are you using a USB dongle or some kind of Mobile device to connect via Wifi? I could not find a reference for the gateway model number.

Acer bought Gateway. I would create a Restore Point first and then download the driver here. Click the small Hard Drive icon and provide a junk email address.

If you still do not get Wifi consider a USB dongle like these

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

No luck....going the dongle route....a couple of bucks...looks a lot easier than chasing this one down...thanks again for your time.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

No problem, I don't usually recommend driver software but the most reputable open source one is snappy. It may find your Wifi driver but I would still recommend you get the nano dongle. Try and get the Edup version. You would still need internet for snappy, using your Ethernet connection.  Using the offline version would not be recommended in your case.

https://sdi-tool.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tj7Ddg03U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXzH-dQHOY

Edit: I would only install any Wifi Network adapter found by snappy. If the computer is running fine it is not necessary to download and install any other drivers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 May 2018 - 02:55 PM.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

USB WI FI plug worked great....I was on the net in 2 minutes...no hunting down a driver to match..just a little micro plug in. Thanks for the help JOHN

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Your Welcome, glad you sorted it out and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users