Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant BSOD's with new Ryzen 5 2400g build (I'm losing my mind here lol)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 krazykyguy

krazykyguy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

To all the awesome tech gurus of the interwebs,

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to this post.  I'm going to try and be as thorough as I can so it may be a little lengthy.  I recently re-entered the PC building scene after several years away (my last build was around 2010).  Things have certainly changed a lot since then, namely outrageous RAM and GPU prices, and I admit now was probably not the best time to do a fresh build.  However, my wife and I wanted new hardware to do some light gaming on.  After reviewing many tech articles and reviews, I chose to build a system utilizing the new Ryzen 5 2400g processor with integrated Vega graphics.  I do plan on buying a dedicated GPU when prices cool a bit and I can afford something like a GTX1060 or better.  Here are the specifics of my build...

AMD Ryzen 5 2400g processor

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard

16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB modules)

250gb SanDisk Plus SSD

TP Link TL-WN881ND wireless wifi card

1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD

Cooler Master MasterWatt 550W power supply

NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case

All parts were ordered new through Amazon and the build went together very smoothly.  I did have to get a boot kit from AMD to flash the motherboard's BIOS, but that really went pretty well.  AMD was great and had the kit sent to me in no time.  After the flash I installed Windows 10 Pro (build 1709 initially, then 1803 thanks to WIndows Update).  Using a USB thumb drive and my laptop, I installed all drivers via Gigabyte's website for both the chipset and audio drivers.  Windows updated the display driver from Basic Windows Display adapter to the AMD drivers for the Ryzen 2400g.  For the first few days everything seemed great.  PC was running quick and smooth, no headaches or problems.  However, after those few days I started getting issues with my RAM.  I would get random MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD errors in Windows, and the system would constantly reboot.  After running Windows Memory Diagnostic and MemTest86 I discovered that one of the modules was indeed faulty.  I requested a replacement through Amazon and sent the first kit back.  Once the second kit arrived, I installed it and thought that I would be ready to really see what this new APU could do.  Boy, I was wrong.  After about ten minutes of running, I started to get the BSOD VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys).  I rebooted the machine, thinking it was an isolated error.  However, upon reboot, any time I tried to load a webpage or play a game the PC would lock up and throw the same BSOD again.  Frustrated, I searched the web on my phone and saw where others had similar issues.  I then proceeded to try the following steps...

1.  Uninstall all AMD drivers with both the AMD Uninstall Utility, as well as DDU Uninstaller in Safe Mode.  This rolled me back to Windows Basic Display adapter drivers, which stabilized the system.  However, any time I tried to play any games, the graphics would be extremely choppy and made the game nearly unplayable (like I was trying to play on a 10 yr old Dell unplayable).  I also lost all sound through my HDMI monitor speakers, and the "sleep" function in the power off menu went away.

2.  Seeing as I am only using the stock CPU cooler, I have not overclocked anything but the memory using XMP in BIOS.  I could get the full 3000mhz and still boot the system fine.

3.  Did a FRESH install of Windows 10 Pro build 1709, disabling any Windows Updates.

4.  Contacted AMD Tech Support for help.  Around the time I did so, they released brand new drivers for the Raven Ridge line of APU's (Ryzen 3 2200g and Ryzen 5 2400g).  Following their directions I installed the newest driver, with no change.  I was still getting the same BSOD as always.

5.  Tested RAM through MemTest86 for errors for 17hrs.  No faults detected.  Swapped my RAM around from DIMM slots 1&3 to slots 2&4.  Still, no change - same BSOD as always

Finally, one evening, out of frustration, I removed the second RAM module, running just one 8gb stick in DIMM slot 1.  I rebooted the PC and loaded into Windows.  After a half hour, no BSOD's, no errors.  I left the PC on overnight to see if it would eventually reboot.  It did not.  I can use the PC just fine running only one module of RAM - it seems completely stable.  However, I can shut the PC down, install the second RAM module, and start the machine and within five or ten minutes I will get the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) BSOD.  For the life of me I cannot figure out why it happens with both RAM modules installed.  I tried replacing the atikmpag.sys file with one on another PC that has a Ryzen 2400g installed.  That didn't help either.  I really have tried everything that I can think of.  I've rolled back drivers, installed the chipset drivers first, then the GPU drivers, still with no avail.  I know the issue is with the GPU driver.  I just don't understand why it only happens with 16gb RAM installed.  You would think it would also do so with just one module in place as well.  Please, anybody, somebody - if you have any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve this problem I'm all for it.  I have files saved on my OneDrive of dump files, memory tests, SPEECY screenshots, etc. if you'd like to see them.  Thank you to everyone that can help!

**NOTE** I've attached the SysNative File collection zip file for review.  I have also listed links to some files on my OneDrive:

MemTest86 information : https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlRMwMoVbQlxgzC6S_yYQxQwV5Ij

SPEECY/BIOS screenshots: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlRMwMoVbQlxhCnXT6nbjtmL03Sp

Edited by krazykyguy, 25 May 2018 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Sorry, but I don't see the jcgriff2/Sysnative file attached to your post.

I only see links for memtest + speccy.

Please attach the jcgriff2/Sysnative zip file.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

Good afternoon JC!  My apologies for not attaching that file.  Here is the SysNative .zip file collected this last week.  The error seems to only occur when I am using more than one stick of RAM.  I've tried everything I can think of and think that it could be caused by one of the following:

1.  Faulty motherboard

2.  Faulty APU (which seems unlikely as I would think the system wouldn't function at all)

3.  Bad power supply. 

I've installed and uninstalled every AMD driver that pertains to this APU with no success in solving the issue.  I'm all out of ideas so anything or thoughts you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

Edited by krazykyguy, 29 May 2018 - 06:45 PM.

#4 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

have you tried alternating slots to verify it is not the slot?

#5 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

have you tried alternating slots to verify it is not the slot?

Good morning!  Yes, I did try swapping the memory around from slots 1 & 3 to slots 2 & 4.  That didn't help as it still threw up the BSOD as soon as I booted into Windows.  I ordered a new mobo yesterday.  Hoping that will alleviate the problem.  I also tried swapping CPU's with the one in my wife's PC thinking it could possibly be a bad CPU but I still got the same error.  

#6 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 908 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

OK, keep me posted.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi. . .

The RAM issue is certainly interesting and I would definitely have gone after it first as softwaremaniac did. Your troubles with 2 sticks installed vs. the stability with only one RAM stick installed is very puzzling.

All 5 dumps contained in the Sysnative zip file point to your ATI video driver and/or possibly the video card itself as the probable cause. A summary of the 5 BSOD mini kernel memory dumps:

BugCheck 116, {ffffb20417f06010, fffff80cffc0f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+f814 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 116, {ffff8405936da010, fffff80bc5d5fce8, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+fce8 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 116, {ffffbd00e9ff54a0, fffff801de14f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffffa100d5bfc4a0, fffff80f036efce8, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffff8e03cff594a0, fffff80733c0f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
Try updating the video drivers first - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys

If BSODs continue, try a video driver roll-back. The timestamp of your current video driver is January 26, 2018 - as reported by the dumps:

atikmpag.sys Fri Jan 26 18:12:53 2018 (5A6BB5F5)
If BSODs still persist, swap out the video card for another; see if BSODs continue.

For info, bugcheck (BSOD STOP error code) 0x116 = video TDR timeout. The video driver did not reset within the allotted time -- usually 30 seconds; BSOD ensued.

Further info on bugcheck 0x116 - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html?highlight=0x116

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 08 June 2018 - 07:09 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

... I did have to get a boot kit from AMD to flash the motherboard's BIOS, but that really went pretty well.

Just curious -- why did you need a bootkit?

For reference - bootkit - https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/bootkit.html

Thanks...

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#9 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 908 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

Because of the B350 Motherboard. AMD is giving those away free to their customers so they can upgrade to 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs.

#10 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

Just curious -- why did you need a bootkit?

For reference - bootkit - https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/bootkit.html

Thanks...

jcgriff2

Some manufacturer's B350 motherboards needed to have a BIOS flash in order to work with the new Ryzen 3 2200g and Ryzen 5 2400g APU processors.  Most of these boards were already on the market prior to the new Ryzen APU release.  Some people already owned a processor that could be used to flash the boards.  Those that didn't (such as myself) would normally have to buy one to use or hope that someone they knew had one they could borrow.  AMD, realizing this, offered to loan out compatible processors (typically an A6-9500) so that the motherboards could be flashed.  Then you simply send the processor back to AMD (they even paid for shipping).

#11 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

Hi. . .

The RAM issue is certainly interesting and I would definitely have gone after it first as softwaremaniac did. Your troubles with 2 sticks installed vs. the stability with only one RAM stick installed is very puzzling.

All 5 dumps contained in the Sysnative zip file point to your ATI video driver and/or possibly the video card itself as the probable cause. A summary of the 5 BSOD mini kernel memory dumps:

BugCheck 116, {ffffb20417f06010, fffff80cffc0f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffff8405936da010, fffff80bc5d5fce8, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffffbd00e9ff54a0, fffff801de14f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffffa100d5bfc4a0, fffff80f036efce8, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
BugCheck 116, {ffff8e03cff594a0, fffff80733c0f814, ffffffffc0000001, 3}
Try updating the video drivers first - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys

If BSODs continue, try a video driver roll-back. The timestamp of your current video driver is January 26, 2018 - as reported by the dumps:

atikmpag.sys Fri Jan 26 18:12:53 2018 (5A6BB5F5)
If BSODs still persist, swap out the video card for another; see if BSODs continue.

For info, bugcheck (BSOD STOP error code) 0x116 = video TDR timeout. The video driver did not reset within the allotted time -- usually 30 seconds; BSOD ensued.

Further info on bugcheck 0x116 - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html?highlight=0x116

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Good evening!  Well, I swapped motherboards with one of a different model (ASUS Strix B350-F Gaming) and reinstalled all the AMD drivers.  For about an hour or so it worked fine.  Then the dreaded BSOD came back.  This is getting to be really really annoying.  On this particular processor the graphics are integrated with the CPU.  I'm not using a standalone GPU.  Thinking that it could be the CPU itself I swapped mine with the one in my wife's PC (hers is of the exact same model).  Within five minutes of booting the system it gave me the same BSOD.  Therefore, this is what I have ruled out:

1.  All memory tests on the RAM I have came back clean (Windows Memory Diagnostic as well as MemTest86)

2.  CPU has been swapped for another and I still got the same BSOD.

3.  I have rolled back all drivers to Microsoft Display Adapter and reinstalled both the chipset and graphics drivers.  Same BSOD.

4.  I've done TWO fresh installations of Windows 10 Pro.  The first one I did was to version 1709.  That didn't help any, so I installed version 1803.  Same BSOD.

I don't understand what is causing the conflict with the graphics drivers.  My wife's machine is nearly identical to mine (only difference being that she has a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming motherboard) and she has not had one single error.  Could my PSU be causing the issue?  I've tried duplicating my settings to hers but for some reason it's still not working.  I'm all out of ideas.

#12 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:01 AM

Hi krazykyguy,

Have you resetted the XMP for the RAM when switching motherboards?

Kind regards,
Axe0

#13 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hi krazykyguy,

Have you resetted the XMP for the RAM when switching motherboards?

Good afternoon!  Yes, I did indeed reset the RAM on my new motherboard, running it at a measly 2133mhz at one point to see if it helped.  I still got the same error.  Any suggestions?

#14 krazykyguy

krazykyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

OK, keep me posted.

Good afternoon softwaremaniac!  I'm still getting the same BSOD with the new motherboard.  I meticulously installed all components including the RAM to make sure nothing was out of place or incorrect.  I'm so frustrated lol.  Any suggestions?

#15 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 908 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Can we get fresh Minidumps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users