Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dbond5

dbond5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

I got a new dell laptop and every so often, for no reason, a window pops up that reads: "The instruction at "0x1002f87d" referenced memory at "0x1002f87d". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."
The title bar of that window says "IEEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error"
I have no idea what this is, what program it has to do with or why it keeps popping up.
Can anyone help me figure this out?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

Suggest you do an online scan with the two programs linked below. The file IEExplore.exe is identified as belonging to download trojan. I would also suggest you post a hijack this log by using the instructions found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.ewido.net/en/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

I got a new dell laptop

If it's a new laptop I would think it's still under warranty. Have you called Dell support and explained the problem to them?
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

Moderator note:

The HJT log posted by dbond5 to this thread has been moved to the HJT log forum for team review and member help:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/67866/hjt-log-split-from-thread/
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 October 2006 - 10:53 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 dbond5

dbond5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

well ewido and housecall found nothing, same thing with spybot and ad-aware. is it possible this is not spyware related and if so, does anyone have any other ideas? the HJT log has been moved to another location (see link above) if anyone minds taking a look
thanks

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

At this point, please wait for the HJT team to respond to your log as any changes you make - adding or deleting programs etc. - could nullify the initial fix they create for you based on the study of your log.

The HJT team is very busy so please be patient. Do not bump your thread as the team could then think that someone else is working on your log. If you haven't had a response in five days, add a response to the no reply in five days topic and paste in the URL to your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 yhovah

yhovah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

My sister has a Dell desktop, and recently she has gotten the same 'memory could not be "read" error. While working with Netzero tech support on an unrelated problem, I noticed that IEExplore.exe was running in her processes list. I asked the tech support people if it belonged to them, and they replied yes. (at the time, while IEExplore.exe was running, internet explorer would not open.)

I don't know how to fix the error message, but I hope this helps at least a little..

~~>yhovah

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

IEEXPLORE or IEXPLORE?

#9 yhovah

yhovah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

It was IEEXPLORE.

~~>yhovah

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

Looking at the HJT log you posted, I see that you were notified a few days ago that your log was clean. I also noticed that you did not mention the IEExplore.exe that the message was about on your computer. It would assist the HJT expert to know that and could have possibly been the key to finding an answer for you.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users