Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Windows 10 install/build freezes whilst idle + CPU fan goes to max

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sys

sys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hello BC forums,

Earlier today I posted my issue on reddit. You may read through it if you need any extra insight about the bullet points I'm about to paste (latest findings). Or simply ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm hoping there will be input from more than one helpful soul on the net.

My system specs (missing WD HDDs, 840 Pro SSD and AX760 PSU). Also detailed on the reddit post.

All the components are new except for the HDDs, the 840 Pro SSD which I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on, and the GTX 670 GPU. These components appear to be perfectly fine despite originating from my last PC that had a faulty PSU which eventually fried one of my GPUs (in SLI) and my other SSD that Windows used to be installed upon.

The symptoms:
Freezing at idle when in Windows 10. Sometimes when doing something trivial, such as opening Edge browser or clicking on a Removable Drive in File Explorer. System hangs and CPU fan goes to maximum by the sounds of it. Requires a forced power-down via power button. After this hang and power-down, booting the system sometimes hangs at the POST stage: the board's onboard LEDs (Q LEDs) to detect DRAM, CPU, VGA and booting device problems show a constant green light on the Boot LED. Requires another reboot to get past the POST stage into the OS.

Believed to be not at fault:
GPU - Swapped current GTX 670 GPU for old GTX 260 test GPU, booted into OS. Still freezes.
- Connected to Corsair AX760 PSU via single cable with 2 x 6+2 pin connectors.
RAM - Ran 2/4 passes (1:40 hrs) on latest free Memtest86, 0 errors.
- Booted into OS twice with 1 RAM stick each boot. Still feezes.
SSD - Unplugged all SSDs, booted into OS. Only OS drive connected (SSD). Still freezes.
HDD - Unplugged all HDDs, booted into OS. Only OS drive connected (SSD). Still freezes.
DISK - All disks have no errors according to SMART diagnostics.
USB - Unplugged all USBs, booted into OS. Only keyboard and mouse connected. Still freezes.

Possibly the culprit:
CPU - Idle temps in BIOS read 50 degrees Celsius.
- Idle temps in BIOS (with case side panel off) read 48.
- Idle temps in Windows using a diagnostic tool reads 38.
- Downloading a game via Battle Net game client, temps read 60.
- Heatsink was installed in one go: placed on CPU, then AMD Prism heatsink's clips secured.
- Stress tested with Prime95 Small FFT for 3 minutes without a freeze. Temps read 85. System remained stable for 40 minutes of idle until I decided to resume downloading of a game. Froze within a couple minutes. I would test for longer, but I don't see how I could tell if the freeze was due to Prime95 or whatever is causing the freeze.
PSU - New PSU. No apparent issues. Don't own any tools to test it with.
MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X470-F was flashed to the latest firmware upon arrival (v4011).
- Settings at default: used "Load Optimized Defaults".
- No manual settings set except time and date. No overclocks, nothing.

Other info:
OS - Fresh Windows 10 N Pro 64-bit v1803 install onto Samsung 840 Pro. Done via bootable USB. Required manual formatting of disk via diskpart, and converting from MBT to GPT before Windows 10 installer would allow Windows to be installed (since motherboard is UEFI) to the desired partition.

- Some software intalled: Battle Net client, Steam, Discord, KeePass, Firefox, VS Code and Eset Security.

- My Windows 10 serial key has been blocked. I extracted it once upon a time using a Nirsoft program as my system was one that was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro N to 10 for free so a key was never presented to me. This may be why it's blocked. The Windows 8 serial key that my 10 was upgraded from also fails (serial was provided for free due to my academic activities): Error installing product key Error code: 0xc004e016.

- Due to a blocked key, the Windows 10 version has reverted back to Build 10240 so I cannot re-update the system I believe.

Should've read and followed http://www.suggest-a-fix.com/index.php?/topic/206-home-building-and-testing-techniques/ - maybe next time...

So...

• Am I right to exclude the components that I have from being at fault?
  • What other tests could I do to validate or exclude a culprit?
  • Any other ideas on isolating the cause?

I would love to be able to use my PC, it just won't stop freezing...

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Attached SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

Attached Files

Edited by sys, 25 May 2018 - 06:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sys

sys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

A new development. Typically when the system freezes, it hangs with no signs of unfreezing, but this time, a BSOD followed. The BSOD had the error "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". From a quick search, this error seems to be an issue with the CPU and it's cores and threads. Perhaps this is a sign that the issue lays with the CPU rather than the other components?

Perhaps there's a log file I can recover that may help?

I also found an interesting thread online that sounds like a similar issue. For him, the issue was non-QVL RAM. My RAM is on the QVL, but I'll double-check. Possible fixes could be reinstalling Windows again or resetting the BIOS via the board's CMOS, according to another thread. Also, making sure all Windows updates are installed. Both are related to Ryzen systems. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit: My original post should have a BSOD dump attached to it shortly.

Edited by sys, 25 May 2018 - 05:40 AM.

#3 sys

sys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

I also ran the HD Tune test but it only completed three quarters of the way through before the system froze (BSOD did not follow). The graph looked quite stable and the speeds in the 450 MB/s range.

I've enabled Driver Verifier as per the instructions on the stickied thread. Booting into Wndows still possible. From what I gather, I should leave the system running idle for at least 24 hours (If I start using the system, the instabiilty is more likely to occur).

After booting back into Windows, I attempted to fetch a password I have stored on an external drive. I accidentally attached my webcam that had not yet been attached and as soon as the drivers began automatically installing, another CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD. I assume there's no need to attach another BSOD dump despite now having enabled the driver verifier, but just in case, here's another attached...if the system will let me without the same BSOD occurring again (which just happend again). Second time's a charm...though another BSOD as soon as I pressed submit modified post. Thankfully it uploaded the file.

Attached Files

Edited by sys, 25 May 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#4 sys

sys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

So, I reinstalled Windows v1803 and bought a new Windows 10 Pro key which I've used to activate the system. There are no more BSODs any longer but occasionally there are freezes or odd behaviour. examples:

• After the login screen, my desktop did not load, screen was entirely black but with a cursor. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and log out and back in to fix it.
  • After a login, the system seemed to freeze and unfreeze three times consecutively for about 2-3 seconds each and then returned to normal.
  • Once whilst doing basic browsing the system locked up for a moment and after a few seconds, I believe the graphics driver reloaded and everything retuned back to normal.
  • On my first boot of Overwatch, shortly after loading it I experienced "Your rendering device has been lost" (which I began experiencing before I built this new system due to a failing PSU).
  • Since my initial boot and crash of Overwatch, the game did not experience that error in 1-2 hours of play. What I did notice is poor performance such as the FPS locking to 30 at points until I switched from Fullscreen to Borderless Fullscreen to "refresh" the rendering.
  • The graphical settings are saved to the cloud so it's the same settings that I used to use on my old system. I didn't expect to have to lower my settings on a new computer I've spent good money on. Lowering the settings hasn't really improved anything:
  • Areas in Overwatch with long draw distances sink the FPS from 60 down to 40. My old computer handled this fine.

Some of these issues could be put down to my new system only contains one GTX 670 rather than the 2 in SLI that I used to run (one got friend by PSU, other seems fine, but perhaps it isn't?), but other points such as the first few I wouldn't put down to having a dated GPU installed. If the GPU is faulty in some way, perhaps all of this could then be explained.

I've spent many hours debugging trying to find the causes to everything that's been happening. Finally I'm into a seemingly stable Windows after a reinstallation but the only game I wish to play (that isn't really that demanding compared to other modern games) just doesn't run well. Again, I accept I have one card, and upgrading may be needed, but if the other issues remain, I'll be frustrated even more. It's just one problem after another with fresh components. I'm regretting giving AMD a chance as I feel as though a lot of these issues have been originating from the 2700X. I have no idea what was causing all the BSODs on my previous Windows install, but I'm glad their gone. Why must the system have all these flaws or instabilities (albeit improved over my previous Windows install)? Disappointed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#5 sys

sys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

The GPU was at fault as suggested by Blizzard support after supplying them with some info about the situation. The GPU was partially fried by the PSU surge that had killed the other one. Both were in an SLI setup and so the majority of the surge must have killed the other and caused minor damage to the barely functioning one. After replacing the GPU I was running, no more instability or connections lost to the Nvidia driver in the Event Viewer or "Your rendering device has been lost" in Overwatch.

Fixed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users