Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Linux Designed To Be A Pain In The A$$?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 webwurm99

webwurm99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

where to begin...

Ive been trying for years to figure this out, how to download, install and use linux. Ive wasted plenty of cds downloading images that dont work when I try to boot from them, Ive bought 2 (now outdated) distros,(suse, and mandrake) and spent hours and hours trying to figutre out how to use them only to reinstall dozens of times. Im constantly reading about the advantages linux has over windows, but atleast I can use Windows.
Linux tuts and faqs seem to be written by and for people who already know how to use it, so if there is someone ther with as much patients as I have persistance, please reply and we'll continue this conversation.

Im no geek but I hope some day I will be.

I forgot to mention that Im Downloading Suse 10.1.iso right now

Edited by webwurm99, 08 October 2006 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

LOL! I'm familiar with your frustration. I think maybe the first thing you need to do is breath. I read about Linux, messed around with some different distros, and finally settled on Ubuntu. I've gone through many distros as well. The thing I have learned as most valuable so far, was to associate myself with forums who were Linux users and were willing to help with any problem I had. This was probably the hardest part, since most places all I ever got in return for a question was "Goole it", HAHAHA NEWB!!! and random stuff like that. But I did find a couple that were really helpful. Here you'll find most use diferent distro's but always seem willing to help.

Anyway, what distro are you trying to run and what's happening that's got you all in an uproar.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

I gave up with Linux. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the wireless card to work with it. I'll try again sometime in the future. Maybe the'll have a wireless card that already works with Linux.

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

That wireless issue has been worked on for a long time, and honestly, you're the first person I heard complain of this for about 4 years. Regardless, here's a couple of starter sites to help you along the way. It does typically, as I understand it, take a little more effort for wireless.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-net...work-linux.html

Edited by Joedude, 09 October 2006 - 12:24 PM.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

Linux isn't made to be a pain, it's made to be a good OS for people fed up with Windows/MacOS/paying for an OS. If you can't figure it out there are plenty of places to get help, your best bet is usually to find a forum that caters to your specific distrobution. Also, if you can't figure it out after years, give up, it really isn't that hard...
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#6 webwurm99

webwurm99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Joedude: Does ubuntu work with wireless? I've been toying around With Suse but I'm wondering if its just got too much stuff to be simple. I have however heard good things about ubuntu. I dont really know enough to have a preferance. I will be installing on an Averatec laptop with a 1.8 GHz (I think) athalon, and and an 80GB hdd.

KBK: What the hell kind of advice is "give up"? I am sick of microsoft products in general, but so far Linux has been far from free to me!!!

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

I don't know what particularly you are looking for. So here is Ubuntu's wiki for a general search of "wireless". See if you can find what you are looking for there.

Don't limit your distros either. There's a lot out there. Yellow Dog and Mandrake are both rated quite high for linux beginners as well. Check them out, use thier live CD's and see if you like it first. Then install it. I happen to prefer Ubuntu, but some of your more hard core guys will argue Ubuntu spoon feeds you too much. I just like it. Take her out for a test drive, kick the tires, see how she does. Then decide.

Edited by Joedude, 10 October 2006 - 11:24 AM.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

#8 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

KBK: What the hell kind of advice is "give up"? I am sick of microsoft products in general, but so far Linux has been far from free to me!!!

You say you've been trying to get linux working for years, and you can't do it. That's why I said you should give up. It honestly is not that hard to use at all, there are so many different distrobutions to try that there has to be one out there that you can work with. Also, you never said anything specific about the problems you had/are having, that could help us to help you.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

You say you've been trying to get linux working for years, and you can't do it. That's why I said you should give up. It honestly is not that hard to use at all, there are so many different distrobutions to try that there has to be one out there that you can work with. Also, you never said anything specific about the problems you had/are having, that could help us to help you.

None of which gives you any right to be disparaging to any of our members. Maybe you should give up at attempting to give anyone help, it really isn't hard.

@webwurm99

As has already been stated, you need to find a forum treats newcomers with respect. Linux boards are notorious for throwing around elitist attitudes (which is part of the reason 'nix has a bad name). There are friendly boards where people can ask questions without getting told off (all evidence to the contrary aside).

I tried for a long time to get various distros to work, and never had much luck. One of the group I do research with was kind enough to help me set up CentOs, and after that, I didn't have much of a problem. All I needed was someone to help me with a few display issues, and I was good to go. Our servers are Linux based, so I spend about 30% of my time using Linux. I am considering dropping Windows off my personal system all together. I'm still weighing the benifits.

To avoid being flamed, make sure you research your issue and try a few of the recommended fixes. When you ask a question, then mention what you did, what information you have, and what you tried to do. If you still get flamed after that, move on to a different forum. As a side note, while Linux may be free, learning how to use it is not. Depending on what you want to do, that can take some hard work (at first). Just like anything else, you get out what you put in to it.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

#10 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

None of which gives you any right to be disparaging to any of our members. Maybe you should give up at attempting to give anyone help, it really isn't hard.

Touche, sir. Anyways, I will apologize to webwurm99 for being rude. I really do have no right to give him any crap, I myself was once a n00b as we all were. The best advice I can give you is to keep trying until you find the right OS for you, and also try experimenting with different desktop environments as well. I also suggest picking up a copy of The Linux Bible, when I was a n00b, it helped me out a whole lot.

#11 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

I happen to prefer Ubuntu, but some of your more hard core guys will argue Ubuntu spoon feeds you too much. I just like it. Take her out for a test drive, kick the tires, see how she does.

:thumbsup: "Ubuntu spoon feeds you too much" :flowers:

Now thats my kind'a talk...

I've been thinking about changing to linux for a long time, but like other's with very limited knowledge have struggled...

While I'm a good reader and listener; sadly I'm also a prime PC ID :inlove: 10 T (Easy Tigers) "Windows ME" user, though the next time it crashes; it's going for good...

I too am trying out the Abuntu Live CD after windows has loaded :) I've got to start somewhere :cool:

Well so far so good and I'm kind'a shining to the idea of the Mozilla Firefox so far, even though one forum I visit the welcome header part dose not appear the same as in Internet Explorer 6.

I look forward to trying some more of what came on the Ubuntu CD, so I fully plan to "take her out for a test drive" :trumpet:
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#12 webwurm99

webwurm99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

Apology happily accepted kbk.

The problem I have with Linux books is they always seem to have a very basic intro. They discuss the principles of root and mounting, but in chapter 2 they think I am an expert. I am curious if the Linux bible is the same.

Past problems aside, I'm interested in finding a distro to start over with. If you read about different distros on the net, inevitably the one you are reading about is always the best. I'm curious to hear what the people here think. Ubuntu has gotten good reviews on other sites, so I would like to know more about it. I don't, however, want to spend hours downloading and and burning CDs from unreliable mirrors. I have gotten so frustrated with exactly that. Has anyone had any issues installing Ubuntu on a laptop? Any wireless or display issues?

#13 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:34 AM

I've played with several Linux distros - and found them lacking for my use,
Or ability to use them.
Ubuntu will send you their CD's... free of charge.
I have not played with this distro - yet.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#14 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

Hay there
I used Linux for about a year and a half (off and on the first 6-8 months) I don't "use" it for any thing but surfing and email and whatnot. Started with Knoppix (3.7) worked great and really "piqued" my intrest in dumping windows. had some video problems (8year old computer) and switched to Damn Small Linux and loved it, still use it off and on. don't use a laptop or wifi but I do have a new computer that came with Linspire preinstalled and it is all I use now (NO Windoze, andC-N-R is free now ) . I use a "user" account and never bother with going into root for the most part. Knoppix is somewhat famous for it ease of conectibility and hardware detection and uses the KDE desktop (very windozy)and being a Live CD doesn't mess with your harddrive or windows settings. DSL is Knoppix based and does everything I want so far , but it's kinda basic(no KDE) ,which is why I like it I guess. there is "Freespire" out now (a free version of Linspire) and I heard a lot of good things about Xandros ,which has a free ver. and a Paid ver. and is supposed to be very user friendly. I believe the new Ubuntu works as a Live CD as well , which is a good way to see if if suits you or not. either way there is a Whole Lot O' Linux out there to "play" with , so you're only limited to the number of cd's you have to burn, try to Have Fun ! :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#15 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

My favorite distro of all time is Gentoo, I had some problems with it and I don't use it anymore (sound card issues, new computer will fix that) but it was really solid and worked extremely well. The installation for Gentoo is pretty time consuming and at times very difficult though. For someone who wants to get started with Linux I would suggest KNOPPIX, GNOPPIX, Mepis 3.4.x, Debian, or maybe SuSE. I've used and installed all those and I think they work pretty well, KNOPPIX was my first installed distro, SuSE was my second, and I'm using Mepis right now. Debian never worked right for me because I could never get ndiswrapper to install, but if you don't have wireless you shouldn't have that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users