Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro can't load "support.microsoft.com"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 todanlawrence

todanlawrence

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

I have a Dell XPS (2012) running Windows Pro 7 with fully updated software (as far as I can tell).  I'm trying to recover my MS Office (2010) which came with the pro upgrade.  I've tried to do this with tech support, but everytime I load "support.microsoft.com" I get one of two messages blocking access.  When I use Explorer to access the page, I get a notice saying I don't have Java.  My Java seems to be updated and active (though I'm not sure which settings are correct, the default setting seems to indicate its active).  No further options than checking Java settings are available on this page.  I've also tried to access the page via Chrome, but whenever I do it there I get a "Your computer is not private" message with a red triangled exclamation point at the front of Http in the address bar and another warning on the MS tech support page.  No further options to proceed are made available.  Two online-chat tech support aids couldn't get me past this point.  Scans show no problems and I don't use this computer for surfing or emails, thus minimizing virus risk.  How can I clear this hurdle on the way to re-loading MS Office Pack?

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2018 - 05:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

BTW - I should note that I also can't sign in to my gmail account from either browser, and GO-TO pages like "Weather.gov" don't load either.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

What happens when you click on this link? Microsoft Support

The reason I ask that is you may be attempting to access a scam site.

Have you tried flushing the DNS cache? You can use CCleaner for that. Note that option on the left side of the opening page/ GUI for CCleaner.

Could be a host file problem.

Replace your current HOSTS file with a tweaked one, as the MVPS Host file, that restricts access to known bad sites improving your security.
It basically prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting the attempted connections to 127.0.0.1, which is the IP of your local computer.

To do it:

• Download hosts.zip and save it to your desktop
  • Right click the file you just downloaded on your desktop and select => Extract to "hosts\"
  • In the hosts folder on your desktop, double click on mvps.bat file to run the program
  • A prompt will appear, press any key to continue

What happens when you click on this link to Google Mail? Sign in - Google Accounts

If you haven't used the programs below recently....use them to clean, remove adware and remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

If you are unable to run a scan using MBAM:

Follow the instructions in the thread below. Make sure to download the MBAR linked in it. Let me know if you're not able to launch it and run a scan.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198907-requested-resource-is-in-use-error-unable-to-start-malwarebytes/

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Reset Chrome back to defaults to completely clear out issues with Chrome.

• First, go to >> Google Sync << and sign into your account. Make sure you know your password as this will clear it from the browser.
  • Scroll down until you see the  reset_chrome_sync.png.c04f40073c8950690b "reset sync" button to clear your data from the server and remove your passphrase.
  • Now, close all Chrome windows. Chrome cannot be running for the next step. If needed, print this information or use another browser to read the information.
  • Press the Windows key + R at the same time, to bring up the run dialog box.
    • run_command.png.b7de635070cd76eabbc0061d
  • Type in (or copy/paste) the following and press Enter:     %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
  1. Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and folders.
  2. Hold down Ctrl + A and click once on the files "Bookmarks" and "Bookmarks.bak". This will unselect them.
  3. With all the files selected (except for your Bookmarks), press the Delete key and click Yes to delete the files and folders.
  4. Example of all files and folders selected, except Bookmarks

chrome_files_folders.png.ca8091b73232581

Restart your computer now and make sure there are no longer any redirects or other browser issues or blocks and let me know.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

You can download Windows Office 2010 here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office

If you do not have the key you can use Produkey.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

It wouldn't be a bad idea to also download Advanced Tokens Manager. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Run the program. It will backup your Windows 7 along with Office activation. Click both the Activation Backup Button and Office Activation Button. After the backup the buttons should change to Activation Restore.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/advanced_tokens_manager.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOykme9UkE

I would follow buddy's advise regarding the problem with the web page. I offer this as an alternative should you need to reinstall Office 2010.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#5 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Thanks to both of you for those tips.  I will try as many as I can manage.  One thing working against me is that I can't sign in to this site either from Chrome. The main page loads but when I click on "LOGIN" the page does not respond. I'll get back to you after I locate all the options you lined out. Thanks for the prompt response.

#6 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

OH, BTW, I can't click on those links from Chrome either because I get that warning page with every site

#7 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

One of the most interesting things is that this site is loading up to view, but I'm unable to get a response from the LOGIN button. Yet I can call up and scroll through the different articles.  Maybe I'll try the Windows 7 tutorial too. :smash:

#8 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Here is another interesting note. I'm trying to download hosts.zip.  Of course, I can't use your link. But I entered that into my Explorer address bar, and though Bing is my default search (since Chrome is not working) the YAHOO search keeps loading.  I'm a little concerned about using sites I don't know, so I tried to go to the Bleepin' link about that topic, but it doesn't link up.  

#9 todanlawrence

todanlawrence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Also, when I try to download CCLeaner, I get a message that says my security settings don't allow CCleaner to be downloaded.  I'm not sure where to find these particular settings,

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

When did you purchase this computer? Are you the original owner?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users