Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-fi removed by a windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Atoz44

Atoz44

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

I have an Acer Travelmate laptop computer. It has windows 10 on it. It has wi-fi on it and it has worked perfect for 2 years. 4 days ago there was a voluntary update above the shut down. I clicked on the update and it took 1/2 hour and 2 computer shutdowns. When it finished I no longer had wi-fi. Under trouble shooting it says I have wi-fi on. But it isn't.  None of the fixes worked so I took it to Office Depot and the tech guy did a reset on the computer and that turned it on again. However that only lasted 1 day and now no wi-fi again. I tried a reset myself but nothing happened this time. Does anyone know how to turn the wi-fi back on? I think the update may have installed another version of windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Well, it would help to know what version and build you're running.   Hit Windows Key, immediately type winver, hit enter and you'll get the dialog giving you that information.  In this case having a Speccy snapshot would help a lot, too.  Publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

The version is 1709, (OS build 16299.431), Windows 10 pro. I tried the using speccy PDF format , after I got to the page a link would not work. after trying download the PDF , a box came up and said "foxit phantom pdf is not available, reinstall to repair this problem. I don't see how to do this. In the other link you have to have microsoft office. I don't have this program. 

I also tried the other fixes mentioned in other threads about this problem. Nothing worked. I also tried to return to an earlier version, that didn't work. I am not sure that there was an earlier version.  No evidence of it in the upgrades list. There seems to be no evidence of any wi-fi on this computer. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Well, the Foxit issue is with your computer and what you have defined as your PDF viewer.  Just tried both links and each causes a "Save" dialog to pop up and you can save the PDF or .docx file wherever you'd like to.  Afterward you should be able to open it with whatever PDF reader you prefer or MS-Office or an office suite that understands the .docx format, which is virtually all of them.

You're still on the Windows 10 release that's immediately previous to the current one, but a lot of people are still since their machines have not been put into a Version 1803 update cohort yet.

Here are the Speccy instructions embedded in this message:

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.  Note:  Speccy free now comes with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it.  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install both of these when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.  When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.  You will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item (or press ALT+F,B):

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Edited by britechguy, 25 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 brianday

brianday

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

I have found disabling the network drivers that are not your network card in device manager and turning off vpn settings in settings, wifi, has worked for me in the past, 

May take a restart as well.

#6 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

I am on an Acer desktop computer running windows 8.1 when I tried the download. I should be doing the download on the laptop I think because you want info from that. I will see if the laptop will work with a direct connection to the modem. 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

I am on an Acer desktop computer running windows 8.1 when I tried the download. I should be doing the download on the laptop I think because you want info from that. I will see if the laptop will work with a direct connection to the modem. 

Have you looked in Device Manager to see what the status is on your wireless network adapters?  If anything shows a yellow shield with an exclamation point on it that means the device is not functioning correctly.

This could easily be a driver issue, but I have not yet heard of this kind of thing occurring as the result of a "Patch Tuesday" install in Version 1709.

And, yes, the stats that are needed are from the machine that's malfunctioning.  If you can't get any internet connectivity, even via direct use of ethernet between your modem-router or just modem and your laptop, then we'll be stuck.

#8 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

The laptop would not work with a direct connection. The trouble shooter said "the ethernet dosen't have a valid IP configuration." How can I fix this?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

I just want to make certain that I know what Version and Build you're using on the machine with the issue.  Would you please re-post this information?  Just do a winver command on the broken machine.

#10 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

I looked at the device manager. There is no wireles under network adapters. Only bluetooth, realtek and 8 wan miniports. Nothing that says wireless.

I looked at the device manager. There is no wireles under network adapters. Only bluetooth, realtek and 8 wan miniports. Nothing that says wireless.

#11 brianday

brianday

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

Try disabling the 8 wan ports, 

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Well, the first thing I'd do, at least as an attempt to see if you can get wireless back, is to activate the Scan for hardware changes button in Device Manager:

devicemanager.jpg 

A wireless card is considered plug n' play so it should be detected and a driver for it installed.

#13 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

It is windows 10 pro version 1709 (OS build 16299.431) 

#14 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

I don't have a "human interface devices" icon.

#15 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

Briteckguy: Should I try to disable the wan miniports like poster Brianday says?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users