Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't Install the Windows 10 April 2018 Update! Danger

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 techblogger911

techblogger911

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

The Windows 10 April Update is causing more stress for users, with many claiming their PCs were wiped clean after they hit OK on the update prompt.

Windows message boards were bombarded with complaints after users found that the "restart and install" prompt for the Windows 10 update led to a blank screen with a message saying:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.
The screen has no icons and a few users were only able to remedy the problem with the help of another PC, a luxury many do not have access to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

If you have Windows 10 Pro and deferred the update be prepared.

I have personally seen several credible reports of 1803 being offered up to folks that have Windows 10 pro, and have the updating deferral set to the Semi-annual channel.  (here’s one visual example here)

Given that 1803 is not deemed to be semi-annual – it’s semi-annual targeted right now (what used to be called current branch) there is -zero- reason that it should be offered up on machine that have the deferral selected.

I’ve lost count how many time that the deferral process has not held.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-1803-getting-offered-up-to-semi-annual/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

Using technical support help sites as an accurate metric of how widespread a problem actually is is akin to using a chemotherapy clinic as an accurate metric of how widespread cancer is.

People come to them only when they're having a problem, and not otherwise.

I am not attempting to state there have been no issues, as I've reported some, or that there have been no serious issues, as cases have been reported.  But when you look at the embedded user base of Windows 10 it's obvious that all of us that are having or have had problems are in a small minority.

Lack of accurate risk assessment causes all kinds of unnecessary "sturm und drang."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

Lack of accurate risk assessment causes all kinds of unnecessary "sturm und drang."

You can not possibly serious with this statement, there are a multitude of Windows Home users that have had 1083 literally rammed down their ethernet backside and without the consideration of of getting any Vaseline to ease the pain

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

You can not possibly serious with this statement, there are a multitude of Windows Home users that have had 1083 literally rammed down their ethernet backside and without the consideration of of getting any Vaseline to ease the pain

Those who elected to use Windows 10, and I'm one of them, should be fully aware of Windows as a Service.

I am deathly serious.  If there were 100K users who had issues that's a drop in the Windows 10 bucket.  Your individual risk, for any generic you, is quite low in terms of a catastrophic failure.  [On top of that, you, for the generic you, should be taking regular backups, too, so that if you were struck like this you have recourse (among many other excellent reasons, too).]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

That's Microsoft's attitude too!

We will shovel some horse crap onto unsuspecting users and of those few that have issues, too bad if we break your pc

Edited by Joe C, 25 May 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

That's Microsoft's attitude too!

We will shovel some horse crap onto unsuspecting users and of those few that have issues, too bad if we break your pc

You live in a mythical world where this never happens with anything but MS and Windows.   I don't.

I also don't believe that issues happening for some small subset of a massive user base is anything unusual for any software or OS maker.  I've been in this business since the 1980s and have seen this again and again and again.   It's irritating, sometimes infuriating, but it's part and parcel of using computers, and not just those with Windows as an OS.

If you can't stand the realities of being a computer user well, then don't use one.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

there once was a time that we could wait to see if there was any problems before getting updated, so then they could be avoided. not only that, but M$ was much more careful about pushing out updates too, now they seem like half baked manure and M$ could care less. Issues some have with 1803 do not get any answers from Microsoft. I think you posted something about an issue and it is totally ignored by Microsoft (although it could be someone else.... can't recall)

You stated:

britechguy, on 22 May 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:snapback.png

This particular update has been as messy as the very earliest ones were.

It is quite apparent that Microsoft did not wait long enough as far as pushing back the public release on this one.   I don't know when technology companies, and not just Microsoft, are going to learn that as far as the user base is concerned it's better late and "perfect" (or as close as one can get to it) than on schedule and bug ridden.

Doesn't it bother you that Microsoft does these things and does not seem to care?

Edited by Joe C, 25 May 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Doesn't it bother you that Microsoft does these things and does not seem to care?

Uh, I think the material you quoted answers this rhetorical question.

The difference being that my own experience with Microsoft and other companies makes me know, even if a given bug X or bug Y makes me enraged, 'twas ever thus.

I've also written, and very recently, that one of the main reasons I personally got out of the commercial software development game was the attitude of management, and it is a ubiquitous attitude to a greater or lesser degree, that there's always time to do it over but never time to keep it a little bit longer to make it right in the first place.  This approach breeds the attitude among development teams of FYBIS:  %$&@ You, Buddy, I'm Shippin'!, in order to meet the entirely arbitrary deadlines that routinely are treated as though they came on the stone tablets from Sinai.  It's an ugly, vicious circle that needs to be broken.  [For my next rant:  Why has the revolutionary book from decades ago, hailed in academic settings the world over, The Mythical Man Month:  Essays on Software Engineering, by Fred Brooks, never been integrated into technology management training and philosophy?!  It's the truth, and it's been known for decades, yet is consistently ignored.]

I am bothered, immensely, but also know that this is not going to change in my lifetime and I have to pick my battles.  It's not worth raising my blood pressure but it is worth figuring out how to help others get around, through, or to avoid these messes when possible.   Avoiding updates and cultivating paranoia about them isn't helpful in any way.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Every update to every piece of software carries the risk of a bug, every decision not to update carries the risk of getting exploited. Atleast with windows 7/8/8.1 or Linux you get to choose when to take the risk and update. When you find Windows 10 is not treating you well I strongly advise trying alternatives, if M$ lose enough users to Linux then they might start thinking about getting their act together and treating their users better.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

. . . if M$ lose enough users to Linux then they might start thinking about getting their act together and treating their users better.

Every version of Windows 10 except Home, which is not aimed at a user demographic that can reasonably be expected to have any system administration skills for the most part, has controls one can use to defer Windows Updates, and for very lengthy periods of time.  With Enterprise and Educational updates are handled pretty much like they always were, being run through the powers that be and having them then pushed out to machines, if that's what the powers that be want.

I have been in the tech support business for home users for many, many years now and almost to a person when there's a major system crash and burn it's the result of one of two things:

1.  Stupid behavior such as "panic clicking" when pop-ups appear saying things like, "Your machine is infected with X viruses, click to clean," not coming from the installed antivirus or security suite.

2.  Having created a vulnerable system by not installing updates.

On the whole, the Windows as a Service delivery model is a godsend in terms of keeping home user's systems both patched for vulnerabilities and up-to-date otherwise.  It's not "treating their users badly," but setting things up in a way that makes abundant sense for the demographic that's the target for Windows 10 Home.

We that post on "the answering side" on Bleeping Computer are not, in any way, representative of "your average Windows user" and never have been, and that includes "your average Windows user" for every edition of Windows.

Edited by britechguy, 28 May 2018 - 05:46 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Still though Microsoft has not really been all that great at these big updates with 10.

I mean it is not the first time this has happened with a windows OS as i remember service pack 1 causing havoc for many including myself.

And I would be more forgiving if Microsoft wasn't charging a premium for their OS.

I am more forgiving of breakages in linux because at least with that there is not a billion dollar company to blame for any blunders.

For linux i take faults as 'you get what you pay for" for windows faults i say "come on you have a billion dollar company, where is your quality control!?"

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 May 2018 - 05:56 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Still though Microsoft has not really been all that great at these big updates with 10.

I mean it is not the first time this has happened with a windows OS as i remember service pack 1 causing havoc for many including myself.

And I would be more forgiving if Microsoft wasn't charging a premium for their OS.

I am more forgiving of breakages in linux because at least with that there is not a billion dollar company to blame for any blunders.

For linux i take faults as 'you get what you pay for" for windows faults i say "come on you have a billion dollar company, where is your quality control!?"

Actually, they'd seemed to be on a consistent upswing in handling them up through this latest one.  They even handled Version 1709 (it might have been 1703) correctly by stopping it in its tracks and then really slowing down the roll-out when unexpected issues arose and were identified by system health telemetry.  The Version 1803 update has more in common with 1511 than any after that.

Having been a programmer myself there are certain things I'm willing to "let pass" because they are often influenced by factors well beyond Microsoft's control.  By contrast, though (see my rant on PIN setup), things that should be "dismiss 'em and forget 'em" (or "go through 'em and forget 'em") but are not make me furious.  I've never been a Microsoft fanboy, but I also don't think they're the Great Satan, either.

Having worked on IBM mainframes, various Unix-based "mini" computers, and personal computers of any description I've seen these sorts of issues occur on all of them.  Most of the issues are, in my opinion, the result of shoddy management of software development where deadlines are sacrosanct and meeting specs for functionality is not.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Well I know a few people had issues with the fall creators update, not everyone but a few here and there.

But i will say that Microsoft did rush 1803, deadlines should be secondary.

They could have called it the summer update.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

I do not, for the life of me, understand why Microsoft or anyone else announces that updates will be done on some arbitrary cyclic schedule, then sticks to it regardless of whether what's available is "ready for primetime" or not.

I have no problem with setting a goal of 2 feature updates per year, but if the first one happens in February and the second in November, I could care less, provided they are "ready for primetime" at their debut.

If you have to push one back, significantly, to make sure that it will work very gracefully on the vast majority of hardware then, by Jove, you should push the release date back.

Microsoft, of all companies, has zero worries about losing market share secondary to someone else "coming out with <insert feature or product here> first."  Focusing on their main product, Windows, should be central but most of the tech press is reporting that the powers that be at MS are now indulging in the folly that Windows is passé.  Reports of the passing of the PC, much like the death of Mark Twain, have been greatly exaggerated.  The former has been being predicted for decades now and has yet to come anywhere near to coming to pass.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users