Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI interference

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

I think this is the best place to start this discussion.

I began experiencing interference with my personal WIFI router from an Xfinity router in the next door (adjacent unit in a tri-plex single story unit).  Using inSSIDer program I was able to see that the Xfinity router and the users portion were on the same channel.  I moved  my router from  channel #1 to ch. 11 to avoid the interference.  Within two days, the Xfinity unit had moved to ch. 11 also, creating the interference again.  I have moved back and forth a dozen times after finding the Xfinity unit was moving with my changes.   I asked the neighbor what was happening and they professed ignorance.  The difference between the two signals is only minus 2 db in strength.  Comcast says they have no control once the Xfinity router is installed but the user denies doing anything.  I have to check the channels daily to insure my network remains interference free and move to a clear channel if needed to escape the interference.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  Short of mounting grounded foil on the wall between the units I have run out of ideas.

Edited by mjd420nova, 24 May 2018 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

Do you not have an option for "automatic" on the channel?

A great many routers have this and will switch channels as needed when any significant interference (to them, anyway) is detected.

It would be exceedingly odd for any router to "channel follow" another, that's for sure.   I also can't conceive of any reason that someone (in this case, the neighbors) would want to do this.  What is there to gain?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I can't say this is the problem but do you have Comcast's public Wifi enabled. This lets other Comcast customers access your bandwidth. Can you disable Broadcast SSID? If the SSID broadcast is disabled then inSSider, if your neighbor is using the same program or WifiInfoView to find your channel, should not pick it up. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-disable-xfinity-wifi,news-19036.html

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Currently, I am using a ASUS router, my personal router, not supplied by Comcast as I don't want their router and accompanied Xfinity WIFI on my network.  The neighbor does have the Comcast supplied router and it does have the hot spot included.  When the channel changes, both the users access and the hotspot move together so I get two signals, very strong on the same channel.  I do have the SSID set to not broadcast the SSID.  My router doesn't have the "auto" function.  inSSIDer does pick up the signal of any WIFI, just doesn't show the SSID if hidden.  As stated, the signal is very strong and easy for them to identify.  I guess my next step is to call Comcast for help, tried once but the script reader couldn't offer any solution or help.  Will have to escalate to a supervisor I guess.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

I still can't figure out why your devices, connected to your WiFi network, or their devices, connected to their WiFi network, would do anything in relation to the network that they're not on.

I understand the concept of interference by both networks using the same channel, but that's as far as it goes.

I also don't understand why you wouldn't use the modem-router supplied by Comcast.  There is nothing specifically anymore "unsafe" about them than using them as a modem and connecting another router.  The security settings on contemporary routers are pretty much the same across the board.  Your complicating things for no really good security reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

I have currently one PC, two laptops, two tablets, a PS3,  a PS4, an Xbox and Xbox360 and one smart TV on my router.  I use my own router so I don't have to rent Comcasts unit.  I checked my router and it does have automatic but it doesn't seem to be having any affect.  THe interference is the worst in one bedroom where it is closest to their unit.  When they are on the same channel, things run slower, or fail to connect to some sites.  Also the PS3 gets all kinds of delays and freezes when using it to stream TV programming.  My past experience with using Comcasts equipment is that they don't seem to last very long, need to be replaced within a year of install.  When that happened  three years ago, I bought my own modem and router and stopped paying them rent for their boxes.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

You might want to try another router, even if it's an older one or you need to borrow it from someone, to see if that changes anything significantly.

This is virtually certain to require a large degree of experimentation to try to find a culprit and the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users