Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with win 10 update KB4100403

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Greetings, my problem is with the following update KB401403, each time it installs (configuring updates do not turn off pc etc) when it goes to restart, all I get is a black screen(with cursor) and a continuous looping of a dotted circle. This update has tried several times to install and each time the same thing occurs. ( each time this happens I have to revert to resetting pc (sys restore doesn't restore). Yes I'm on insider preview build (slow)  So any help is appreciated. Thnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Fix supplied by speedway star over on the tenforum: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/109679-cumulative-update-kb4103721-windows-10-v1803-build-17134-48-may-8-a.html
As many have discovered, installing the KB4103721 rollup to Windows 10 v1803 may result in a black non-responsive login screen with either a rotating circle of white dots or a blue "working" circle. The only way to get your desktop back is to reboot into safe mode, whereupon the update reports it was unable to install and rolls itself back.
If you then use msconfig and disable ALL non-Microsoft services, and reapply the update, you may find that it installs perfectly. This certainly worked for me.
For interest, the non-Microsoft services I disabled were:

Apple Mobile Device Server (Apple)
ASUS Com Service (ASUS Motherboard)
BattleEye Service (ARMA 3)
Bonjour Service (Apple)
Dropbox Update Service (Dropbox)
Google Update Service (Google)
iPod Service (Apple)
Logitech Gaming Registry Service (Logitech Mouse/Headset)
NVIDIA Display Container LS (NVIDIA)
NVIDIA Telemetry Container (NVIDIA)
OpenSSH Authentication Agent (Cygwin)
Steam Client Service (Valve)
SyncoveryVSSService (Superflexible)
Syncovery Service (Superflexible)

I wonder if this same fix would work for you?

#3 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Fix supplied by speedway star over on the tenforum: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/109679-cumulative-update-kb4103721-windows-10-v1803-build-17134-48-may-8-a.html
As many have discovered, installing the KB4103721 rollup to Windows 10 v1803 may result in a black non-responsive login screen with either a rotating circle of white dots or a blue "working" circle. The only way to get your desktop back is to reboot into safe mode, whereupon the update reports it was unable to install and rolls itself back.
If you then use msconfig and disable ALL non-Microsoft services, and reapply the update, you may find that it installs perfectly. This certainly worked for me.

Bonjour Service (Apple)
iPod Service (Apple)

Thnx for replying, will give it a try

#4 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Bonjour Service (Apple)
iPod Service (Apple)

Thnx for replying, will give it a try

Didn't work guess it doesn't work for this update. Maybe someone else has a fix but thnx anyway

#5 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Greetings, my problem is with the following update KB401403, each time it installs (configuring updates do not turn off pc etc) when it goes to restart, all I get is a black screen(with cursor) and a continuous looping of a dotted circle. This update has tried several times to install and each time the same thing occurs. ( each time this happens I have to revert to resetting pc (sys restore doesn't restore). Yes I'm on insider preview build (slow)  So any help is appreciated. Thnx

Anyone have a solution to this issue. Thnx

#6 dcol

dcol

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Update KB4100403 will not install for one of my computers. Every time it runs. the update is uninstalled/reverted. Even a manual update after getting it from the Microsoft catalog does not work either.

On another computer this update causes popup windows to display empty. On another computer this update caused office to no longer work.

I have not been successful with this update on 4 different computer. When it does install, there are issues.

I have paused updates from occurring at this time. Thank goodness for backups.

#7 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

Update KB4100403 will not install for one of my computers. Every time it runs. the update is uninstalled/reverted. Even a manual update after getting it from the Microsoft catalog does not work either.

On another computer this update causes popup windows to display empty. On another computer this update caused office to no longer work.

I have not been successful with this update on 4 different computer. When it does install, there are issues.

I have paused updates from occurring at this time. Thank goodness for backups.

Thnx for replying, on the upside glad to know I'm not the only one with issues. Cmon people, no one has a  solution or advice.(yes this means you MS) Perhaps leaving Insiders Preview? Any help is appreciated thnx

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

This web page lists the fixes KB4100403 fixes. They don't seem critical, but yes, people have reported failed installs. If you have any kind of AV I would uninstall it. Then attempt the update. Downloading the Update from the Catalog and then attempting to install in Safe Mode may work. 

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/kb4100403-cumulative-update-for-windows-10-version-1803/

#9 dcol

dcol

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

On one computer, the reason kb4100403 did not install was because of a corrupted BCD store. After I fixed the store, the update installed. Strange, the store was broken yet the system booted fine.

On two computers, the focus issue was fixed by applying the fix in the Advanced scaling settings. This is a new setting in 1803

On the other computers that do not run office, that was because of the incompatibility with Office 2007. Upgraded them to Office 2010 and they are ok now.

Everything works fine now with 1803.17134.81

#10 leuyab

leuyab

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

Hi

I got the same problem with that KB4100403 update even with SAMSUNG SSD... black screen(with cursor) and a continuous looping of a dotted circle.

I found a workaround : I used the microsoft software wushowhide.diagcab  to cancel the update process. After a reboot, everything look fine by rolling me back to the state before this niew update .

‹Hope this can help 

Myconfig

ASUS ROG STRIX B350F GAMING

AMD RYZEN 1600X

G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 4x4GB

MSI GTX 1070 ti 8go

WIN 10 = 1803 (17134.1)

SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 256

Edited by leuyab, 28 May 2018 - 04:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users