Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting stock firmware on a Galaxy S5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:31 AM

I bought a refurbished Verizon Galaxy S5 from Walmart. The way Version configured their version of the OS is crap. The calling features and settings options are really screwed up.
I know there are ways to replace the Version version and put stock firmware back on it. The Samsung site for doing this stated that it is risky.
What are the risks, can I do it with Kies3, and what is the best and safest way to do it?
Also, is it something that can easily be screwed up since I know nothing about this kind of thing? This thing is about to drive me to drinking!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

Have you thought about installing an alternate Launcher App, of which there are a great many?

I know of no way to reinstall the stock OS on a device without first rooting it, plus flashing a custom recovery first, and backing everything up.  If you are actually using the device as a phone on the Verizon network I would be very, very cautious about flashing an alternative version of Android on it.

Also, if this device was a Verizon "edition" of the Galaxy S5 what you have on it is very likely the stock OS.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

I am using Cricket Wireless. The last one I had was an ATT and had a lot more settings options on it. I think I finally figured out why, when someone calls, it puts a +1 in front of the number and I have to copy it to the call screen and delete the +1 before I can call them back. I turned off the Dialing Assistance to see if the works. Also it will not allow me to put a Zedge Notification on Gmail. It keeps reverting back to what was on it, which is such a quiet tone I cannot hear it. Also, it keeps tryign to upload a bunch of Verizon apps and updates that I do not want.

I talked to the Cricket rep and she said that the phone will not work properly if I install any other anti-virus. I put ESET Node32 on it and disabled the Verizon security, and set ESET as default, Will that cause problems?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

Since dialing for cellular calls is always 10 digit anyway, if a 1 is placed in front of the area code it's typically ignored.  I have no idea why that wouldn't be done on you network.  Have you set a default area code?  Very often if one is defined any call made to that area code, whether it's truly local or not, will be executed as a "pure" 10-digit dial (even if the area code has to be added if you omit it).  Perhaps that has an influence on the +1 situation.

You would be far better off to ask detailed questions related to Android and various carriers on a dedicated Android forum like androidforums.com or xda-developers.com.

It's not that you won't get any answers here, obviously, but if you're looking to do heavy duty modding to your phone, and you want to know how, whether it will be compatible with a given provider, etc., this is just not the best venue for that sort of in-depth knowledge.

I rooted two phones, but that was several years ago, and I taught myself how by doing web searches and going to the forums such as the two named above, and a couple of others.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

The local Cricket rep said they could take care of the firmware problem and put a stock OS on it. I will see what they can do today on it. Thanks for the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users