Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stop spreadsheet cell auto-picking words/phrases as I type

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

That is what freeoffice 2018 PlanMaker is doing that I do not want it to do.  A cell automatically puts in words or phrases as I type in the cell, before I finish putting in what I want.  I want and expect to see in the cell only what I type, as I type it, and nothing else.  I cannot find a way/setting/option to make the auto-text filling stop.   I do not even know what this action is called.

64-bit laptop computer, Windows 10 fully updated

Newly installed Softmaker FreeOffice 2018

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2018 - 08:07 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

That is what freeoffice 2018 PlanMaker is doing that I do not want it to do.  A cell automatically puts in words or phrases as I type in the cell, before I finish putting in what I want.  I want and expect to see in the cell only what I type, as I type it, and nothing else.  I cannot find a way/setting/option to make the auto-text filling stop.   I do not even know what this action is called.

64-bit laptop computer, Windows 10 fully updated

Newly installed Softmaker FreeOffice 2018

I just installed Softmaker Free Office 2018 for the first time ever, launched PlanMaker 2018 and went straight to File > Options (I'm using the ribbon menu) > Edit, and there's a checkbox  labelled Autocomplete cells. Isn't this the setting you're looking for?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

Also, even with Autocomplete cells "on" it should not actually autocomplete unless you indicate you want it to.  If you tab out without making an autocomplete selection you should have just what you typed.  This is not at all unlike how MS Office handles many spreadsheet fields, particularly text based ones.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:25 PM

Found finally in the old-style interface Tools Menu, Options, then the Edit tab; and if read carefully, there is a checkbox with Autocomplete - removed the check and now no more problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users