Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACER A515-51G-58GJ internal fan/overheating problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smarty301

smarty301

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:58 AM

Hi,
I purchased an ACER A515-51G-58GJ laptop recently (Delivery date: 28 April 2018), but am having a problem.

On 12 May 2018, the laptop shutdown automatically while few small programs like firefox were running.

Overheating problem?:
The core(s) temperature reaches to 79 degree celsius while running Diablo 3 (GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150) for only 3 minutes. I have Core temp application running in the background with Overheat protection set for max 75 degree celsius.

HWiNFO details:-
Max core temperature: 79 degree celsius
Average core temperature: 58 degree celsius
Max GPU (NVIDIA GeForce MX150) temperature: 77 degree celsius
Average GPU (NVIDIA GeForce MX150) temperature: 14 degree celsius

Acer laptop details:-
Model number: NX.GT1SI.001
CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150, Intel UHD Graphics 620
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

I read somewhere that the maximum core temperature should be 75 degree celsius. Although the Tjunction (max core temperature I think) value is 100 degree celsius for Intel Core i5-8250U according to this link: https://ark.intel.com/products/124967/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Is there any application which can save monitoring data to a file in case the temperature goes beyond a specified limit? (Just like how Windows Event Viewer saves a log in case of an unexpected shutdown). The Core Temp application does give a pop-up notification if the temperature goes beyond the specified limit but no history is maintained of these notifications and cannot be retrieved according to this link: https://superuser.com/questions/947947/view-past-notifications-in-windows-10

It would be great if someone can give advice whether it is necessary to purchase a cooling pad.

Internal fan problem?:
I installed CPUID HWMonitor, HWiNFO and SpeedFan applications but there is no mention of any fan in the details. The internal fan is indeed running, I can hear the fan by placing my ear near to the fan. So, why aren't hardware monitoring tools detecting the internal fan?

I had called up Acer Customer Care regarding the issue and a repair person came to my home the next day. He booted from a USB which had Acer diagnostic tools and there were no hardware problems found. The exact cause of the automatic shutdown couldn't be found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

79° C for an i5-8250U is nowhere near to overheating.  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5%20i5-8250U.html

You already have the spec sheet from Intel telling you that, too.  It's light years away from "too hot" when maximum operating temperature is 100° C.

If this machine is repeatedly exhibiting this behavior, is as new as you say it is, and Acer's own repair person cannot detect the cause then it's "a lemon" and should be returned, promptly, for exchange or refund.

If it happened once, and has not happened again and you've been doing pretty much the same things on it since, I'd chalk it up to a fluke that you'll never know the cause of.

Edited by britechguy, 24 May 2018 - 08:38 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 smarty301

smarty301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Thanks a lot britechguy for your reply.

The automatic shutdown has happened just once, so as you said it might be just a fluke.

Asking my earlier question again just for precaution:-

Is there any application which can save monitoring data to a file in case the temperature goes beyond a specified limit? (Just like how Windows Event Viewer saves a log in case of an unexpected shutdown). The Core Temp application does give a pop-up notification if the temperature goes beyond the specified limit but no history is maintained of these notifications and cannot be retrieved according to this link: https://superuser.com/questions/947947/view-past-notifications-in-windows-10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users