Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Religion and Science always at odds ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-05-24/three-scientists-talk-about-how-their-faith-fits-with-their-work/9543772

When you ponder the vastness of the universe, the wonder of the natural world, or the mysteries of consciousness, what are you left with?

Are you someone who sees nothing but a material world, the workings of which are just waiting to be discovered by the logical reasoning of science?

Or are you someone who believes there must be a creator, or at least some sort of divine power that gives meaning and purpose to it all?

Some argue that being religious is incompatible with being a scientist — but do they realise the father of the Big Bang theory was actually a Catholic priest, the pioneer of modern genetics was an Augustinian monk, or the decoder of the human genome converted from atheism to Christianity in his 20s?

Scientists these days may be less religious than the average person, but just over half of scientists surveyed in 2009 said they believed in some sort of deity or higher power.

science.jpg

"You have to look at biblical literature from the perspective of when it was written, the original audiences, the original languages, the original purposes … the message that was meant to be conveyed by it," she says.

"The Bible's not a science text."

"We need a God because we need a sense of place and purpose and a sense of something beyond."

militant atheists" like Richard Dawkins have "contributed to the idea that in order to be smart, you need to let go of religion".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-05-24/three-scientists-talk-about-how-their-faith-fits-with-their-work/9543772

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

The simple answer is, "No."

Living in Staunton, VA, where Francis Collins hails from, gives a clear demonstration that there are world class scientists who don't see a constant conflict between science and faith in general and science and their faith in particular.  You've got three more in the article to which you linked, and there are plenty more.

I have no issue with what any individual chooses to believe as far as religion goes so long as they don't try to use the power of the state to make me adhere to the practices their beliefs require [you can't really compel belief - only the appearance of it at most].  I consider myself to be a person of science but I don't think that science answers *everything* or ever will.  We need philosophers and religious thinkers to contemplate, and attempt to answer, a great many questions that science still doesn't step near because there's no way to do controlled experiments regarding them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

Science is the study of what we can see, feel, hear or perceive.  Tangible things that affect every living thing on this planet.   We don't know even 5% of the entire picture here.  How did we get here as humans, what created the elements that make our existence possible.  Our minds search for the answers  and grasp those things that we can see, hear of touch.  Conjecture of an element we can't see, hear or sense with our limited resources leads many to exclaim the existence of  a higher power directing our entire lives.  If your brain cannot grasp the science of our existence, we search for answers from within that satisfies our reason for being.  We don't understand how we came to be, how we got to where humanity is and where it is going.  Did we just magically appear from nowhere, the creation of some superior being some 10,000 years ago?  We know that the planet and life has existed here for millions of years or has all the research been guided and directed by this superior element to reach the conclusions that guide us to do more searching for the real meanings.  I let each individual decide for themselves and reject any notion from anyone that they have the answers.

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Adding some other scientist's grist to the mill other than those mentioned in Condobloke's article, 12 famous scientists on the possibility of God (for the TL;DR folks here, not to worry, it's short)-

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/12-famous-scientists-on-the-possibility-of-god_us_56afa292e4b057d7d7c7a1e5
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users