Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering,jumpy Hourglass/can't Post Messages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 easycomeeasygo

easycomeeasygo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

When I try to post messages on my favorite website I get:
"Your message was posted successfully.
- - - - -
It is highlighted below."
BUT my post is NOT there. Note that this has happened before (about 4 times in the last 4 years on the same website). This time, it's been three days in a row of attempting to post on that website, and nothing has gone through, whether or not I use a link in the message. Other members of the board don't have the problem, but then there are probably others like me who do. The website has server problems all the time, but I can't help but think this has something to do with Microsoft's OS.
The same problem has occurred using Windows ME and Windows 98.
---------------------------
Symptoms:
1) cursor is jumpy/snappy
2) hourglass is also jumpy/snappy/flickering but only two/three/four times when I click on anything. I never notice the jumpy/snappy/flickering when my travel around the internet is going well.
3) although I can post here and in other forums/websites, I can't on the site I would like to post on. Their website may be extra 'sensitive' to something in Microsoft's OS.

I've tried these things to fix my problem but nothing has worked:
1) Used Firefox and Opera in place of Internet Explorer
2) Cleared cookies, temporary files, history, logged out and back in again on that website
3) Changed my optical mouse to an 'ordinary' one
4) Ran AVG a few times
5) Ran Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter
6) Slowed down the speed of the mouse
-----------------------------
The only thing that I think I did RIGHT BEFORE I had the problem was disconnect my cable modem and router cables for a few minutes because my computer had become sluggish. About once every two weeks I disconnect the cables and then replug them so that my computer goes a lot faster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

silly questions first:
- posting from another comp =
- making a dumy account and then trying ie, (yahoomail or hotmail)=

I believe but only believe that it is the site's end, not yours because this is the only place that is happening you say.

Edited by fleamailman, 08 October 2006 - 01:44 PM.

everyday is a gift

#3 easycomeeasygo

easycomeeasygo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:09 PM

My problem with the flickering and jumpy cursor and hourglass is not just on the website. It's wherever I travel on the internet right now. BUT, it's only a REAL problem to me because I can't get any messages posted on my favorite site. Like I said before, it has happened in the past on that website, but the other times it was only for a few hours, and then it was fine.
It probably IS the website, but I'd like to know how to overcome the problem. Other people CAN post, although there may be others like me who can't, but there is no way to tell because if they DID try to post, and their messages did NOT register (post), there is no way I would know. I will say that there seems to be a lot less activity on that website than usual.
Thanks for trying to help me though.

#4 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

blinking hourglass--

you have a process/service/program running in the background. If this happens only on the net, i'll bet you have multiple add-ons and at least one toolbar stuck onto your browser.

If your browser is Internet Explorer,m go to tools>manage add-ons and disable the extraneous stuff. The most common culprits are Yahoo and Google toolbars running at the same time. Try that first.

If it were happening outside of the Web, I would then look for garbage/spyware in your startup files...
good luck

-Lazarus

#5 easycomeeasygo

easycomeeasygo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Lazarus- Thank-you so very much! I never realized that there was a Tools/Manage Add-Ons but I think that will solve my problem!
I just checked it out, and have a strong feeling that you have led me in the right direction.
I'm forever grateful. :-)

#6 easycomeeasygo

easycomeeasygo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

Lazarus- You solved my problem! I did have both toolbars going and I also found this....bmwxxeum.dll.....which I could not find doing a Google search, so I disabled it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users