Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft account vs local account

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

I just got a new laptop preloaded with Win 10.
I am signed in with my Microsoft account with a gmail account.  I think this was default way to setup when I initially turned on the laptop.  Sometimes, in the bottom right hand corner, a message will pop up and ask me to verify some log-in information.  I put in my gmail account but it says it already exists.  So I never actually get to finish this.  The pop up message will occur every so often so its kind of annoying.
I also notice another option under "account settings" is to "sign in with a local account instead"  What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a local account?

I don’t have an Xbox or Windows phone. I don’t use many of Microsoft’s apps. So I’m not sure if a Microsoft account is better than a local account or what the difference even is???

Edited by irvineboy, 23 May 2018 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

At the moment I'm too tired to go into everything, but will tomorrow if someone else doesn't answer all of your questions overnight.

With regard to the "Verify" message, go to Settings, Accounts, and I think it will be in the My Info pane, but it may be one of the others, but there will be a "Verify this account" if you have never gone through the verification process.  Once you do you will not be nagged about that one anymore.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:01 AM

I think I have verified my account more than once. They send you a code to your email that you enter. Does it require you to verify every time you switch from Microsoft account to local account and vice versa?

Edited by irvineboy, 24 May 2018 - 01:14 AM.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

I switch between accounts without having to verify every time - but do have to verify if changing any MS account settings.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

Does it require you to verify every time you switch from Microsoft account to local account and vice versa?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "switch."   If you're talking about converting an existing Microsoft account linked Win10 user account into a local account, then that local account back into a Microsoft account linked user account, I would imagine you'd be asked to verify upon each switch in status back to a Microsoft account linked user account.  But who does that?

If you want a local account then just create one and use it.  You are not asked to verify again, once verified, if you switch between users where one or more are local account and one or more are Microsoft account linked.

Edited by britechguy, 24 May 2018 - 08:07 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

I must have done something wrong.  Everytime I restart my computer, it will try to restart but it will always give me an error message.  I see my full name in the middle.  Below it says "The user name or password is incorrect.  Try again"
I click OK. It only enters partial email.

The user name is incorrect as it doesn't have the "@gmail.com" and it only has parts of my front email entered correctly. But I notice in the bottom left hand side, there are two users.  Two instances of my full name.  I can sign on with either one.  This only happens when I restart the computer.  When I control+alt+delete and switch users or lock, it seems like there is only one user.  I'm confused, there should only be one log in right?

Edited by irvineboy, 24 May 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

No one can answer that question without having the computer in hand because we have no way of knowing whether you've set up two accounts or not.  It is odd that both do not appear if you are doing a "switch users" (since there should be both).

The user name, if it's an MS Account linked Windows 10 user account, will not be your e-mail address if you specified an actual name in the Microsoft Account to which it's linked.

I will say this again, you are having a perverse number of inexplicable errors on a machine that's approximately 1 month old.  If you are still within the return period, return it.  You are certainly still under the warranty period and if you can't return it the manufacturer should have to repair or exchange it under warranty.

I am now convinced that you are throwing good effort after bad (and not by any fault of your own).  Something's wrong here that no end user should be fixing on a virtually brand new machine.

~ Mark Twain

#8 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

At the moment I'm too tired to go into everything, but will tomorrow if someone else doesn't answer all of your questions overnight.

With regard to the "Verify" message, go to Settings, Accounts, and I think it will be in the My Info pane, but it may be one of the others, but there will be a "Verify this account" if you have never gone through the verification process.  Once you do you will not be nagged about that one anymore.

I went to "update my account" under settings as this verify information keeps popping up.  It will ask me to put in my password so I do.  Next step - add an email so I put in my gmail.  it says that email is already a Microsoft email address.  Please try a different email address.  I don't want to create a new Outlook email.  I cannot get past this step.  Help!

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

See pictures---

screenshot_48.jpg

Next---

screenshot_48.jpg

Next---

screenshot_48.jpg

Read all the stuff in Accounts.

Ask more questions if need be too.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#10 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:10 AM

One nice thing about a Microsoft Account is you can get digital licenses attached to it.

Picture of my Windows 10 Pro license---

screenshot_48.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

medab1,

Not that the above is not useful, but it is also not applicable to the actual problem stated.

You do have to verify your "linkage" to your Microsoft account.  I do not have a fresh system that I've just set up so the Verify links are long gone from my system.  Setting when to require login again is the equivalent of "Don't require a password when waking from sleep (or hibernation)," on older Windows systems.  PINs, etc., even if set up do not verify what this user is being repeatedly asked to verify (because they haven't previously done so).

They will be nagged until they do so.

~ Mark Twain

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

See:  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/verify-your-identity-on-this-pc-windows-10

or any of hundreds of other tutorials regarding this very issue that come up in any web search engine if you use the criteria, "Windows 10 verify account."

The wheel on this issue in the form of myriad tutorials has already been invented and reinvented and reinvented.  I have no desire to reinvent it again.

~ Mark Twain

#13 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

I must have done something wrong.  Everytime I restart my computer, it will try to restart but it will always give me an error message.  I see my full name in the middle.  Below it says "The user name or password is incorrect.  Try again"
I click OK. It only enters partial email.

The user name is incorrect as it doesn't have the "@gmail.com" and it only has parts of my front email entered correctly. But I notice in the bottom left hand side, there are two users.  Two instances of my full name.  I can sign on with either one.  This only happens when I restart the computer.  When I control+alt+delete and switch users or lock, it seems like there is only one user.  I'm confused, there should only be one log in right?

irvineboy_bleepcomp_help1.jpg

Do you see something similar when you navigate to your c:\User folder? See my o0rob folder? That is the first 5 characters of my MS account login e-mail. Is this the incorrect name you are referring to?  When I'm on my wife's computer and

connect to a shared folder, sometimes it asks me for the login and password, this is the login name I input and the password for my MS account. MS account not local.  

7581204627.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users