Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus twice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JesusSaves22

JesusSaves22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Hi all, I got a virus last month on my late 2013 MacBook. I erased the Hard Drive and reinstalled all of my music recording software and then suddenly the window popped up again that said I had the virus again.  I have a few questions about how malware works. When I first got the virus, I inserted a thumb drive and backed up several files. Then I inserted the thumb drive into the (I thought) clean MacBook. Is it possible that the virus is in the thumb drive? I'm not very wise on this. Another question I have. Is it possible that the virus is somehow in my yahoo email account? 

Thank you so much for spreading some light on this for me! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

Yes it is possible, a virus has no bias on what medium it is on and what OS you use unless its BSD or linux.

A virus can cling on to a backup with ease thus why its best to keep your system clean of them.

Edited by MadmanRB, 23 May 2018 - 09:43 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 JesusSaves22

JesusSaves22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

If I buy a new computer and I log into my email is there anyway the malware will get into my new computer? 

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

You should not have to get a new computer just to get rid of a virus.

Plenty of free virus removers out there even for Mac.

Avast has one

Malwarebytes too

Bitdefender

Avira

Sophos as well

No need to go to the extreme for a mere virus, it can be removed

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 JesusSaves22

JesusSaves22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Thank You Mad, I am a musician and I'm looking to get a new desktop iMac anyway. So my question stands. Can someone please answer this? If I open up my Yahoo email on my new computer is it possible that the malware will effect the new computer through my yahoo email?

Thank You! Please Answer!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

Yes its possible, that is if the offending email is there.

If you already read the email though and unleashed its payload with any luck it wont happen twice if the email in question has been dealt with.

If you have removed the email with the virus though it is probably gone for good.

As for a new computer... you may wish to invest in a standard PC.

Apple really doesnt have much going on for it these days relying on non upgradable hardware and poor quality control with OSX.

Apple has pretty much given up on the desktop space and if you need replacement software for your music production there is plenty out there.

A lot of music producers are leaving the apple ecosystem and it is on life support at best right now concerning desktops.

the iphone has become apples main concern and it is leaving their computers in a sad state of affairs.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 May 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 grupaul

grupaul

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

Best virus remover for MAC OS?

#8 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

don't know if it's been said, but their are no known viruses for osx in the wild. whatever you got was probably not a virus. malware perhaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users