Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD cloning and boot problems.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:59 AM

Hello. I am trying to clone a Samsung SSD 120gb drive to a larger Kingston 240gb drive. They are both installed in my system at the moment. This is a Windows 10 Pro system. I have cloned the drive including it's 3 partitions to the new drive and changed the boot order. However I now cannot format the old Windows C: Drive/Samsung SSD. Windows 10 will not allow it. I checked the boot order and it definitely has the new SSD as top priority. What am I doing wrong?! Do I need to disconnect the old drive first? I am loathed to open the case again.

Thank you for your help. I used Macrium cloning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

You can make a boot disk with Ultimate Boot CD and use the Parted Magic software to delete the old partitions and re-format the drive. I would recommend that you disconnect the 240gb Kingston drive before you do that so you do not accidentally delete the data on the wrong drive

You can use a cd or usb drive, there's a guide for each method

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#3 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:54 AM

Can I put it on USB drive? Will this enable me to format the old drive? Why does it enable that?

Thanks a lot

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

to make a bootable usb

Why customize?

Do to license restrictions, the Ultimate Boot CD does not contain boot disks of commercial software eg. MS-DOS, Windows, Ghost etc. It also does not contain boot disks specific to your environment eg. network drivers, SCSI drivers etc. Finally, it may not always contain the most up-to-date virus definitions. This section talks about how to create your own customized Ultimate Boot CD, tailored to your specific needs.

Extraction

First, extract all the files on the UBCD to a directory on your harddisk such as c:\ubcd-exracted (pathname may contain spaces). If you wish, you can directly extract the files from the ISO image using a tool such as 7-Zip or Daemon Tools.

You should have a directory structure that looks like:

c:\ubcd-extracted\
  boot\
  pmagic\
  ubcd\
    custom\
      custom.cfg
      custom.lst
  autorun.inf
  license.txt

Making UBCD memory stick

To create a bootable UBCD memory stick, at the command prompt, type:

cd \ubcd-extracted\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb
ubcd2usb c:\ubcd-extracted x:

where X: is that drive letter of USB memory stick, which is assumed to be already formatted. If it is not already formatted, or you wish to force it to be formatted, you can add the /f switch at the end:

ubcd2usb c:\ubcd-extracted x: /f

Either of the above will create a bootable UBCD memory stick in X:.

Note that booting a USB memory stick requires BIOS support and is only available on newer machines. You can also expect to encounter more compatibility issues compared to booting from a CD, and some tools may not work properly when run from a USB memory disk.

I highly suggest you read up on everything you need to make your bootable usb drive

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html

This works because Parted Magic is a Linux distro and it does not run in Windows, so if you wish to delete partitions, nothing is going to stop you, Which is why I recommend that you do not have that Kingston drive connected

Edited by Joe C, 23 May 2018 - 06:52 AM.

#5 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Understood. I will try it and i thank you for the support.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

You can create a bootable USB of UBCD using Rufus. It's straightforward. Attach your flash drive. Select MBR for the partition scheme. Where is  says FreeDos select iso image and browse to your iso file. Press start. UBCD cannot boot from a SecureBoot enabled computer. SecureBoot will need to be disabled. You may also need to enable Legacy or CSM boot if you have UEFI firmware.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

When using Gparted in Parted Magic your device will be listed in the dropdown box in the upper right.

A drive can also be formatted from the command line. 

Open an elevated command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

select disk X             X is the number associated with the drive you will be formatting so be absolutely sure you have the correct number

clean                         wipes the drive by deleting the partition table

create partition primary        Creates a primary partition

format fs=ntfs quick

assign                        assigns a drive letter

This can also be done at the command prompt using a Windows 10 boot disk by pressing shift + F10 at the windows asking for language.

#7 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Well my new drive won't boot anyway.  I give up with all this I think.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

Did you use Samsung's cloning software? 

#9 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Did you use Samsung's cloning software? 

I did not no.  This is all above my knowledge base really.  I used Macrium.

Capture.png

Edited by JohnnyZenith, 23 May 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure if Samsung allows the Data Migration Software to be used on a target drive that is not Samsung. I noticed something on your image. The System Reserved Partition is supposed to be marked active but for some reason you have the  F: partition active but it also does not show the boot, or page file. This was not a correct clone. Also, after cloning a drive you should not boot the computer with both drives attached as Windows gets confused. Disk 0 is supposed to be the boot drive. 

If the Samsung drive can boot by itself with the Kensington drive detached I would do the following. Download and install Partition Wizard. Delete all partitions on the Kensington drive. Click Apply to complete the task.  Next select Copy Disk and select Fit Partitions to entire disk. If you do not like the way the partitions are resized to fit the disk you can cancel out and select Copy without resize. You can resize the partitions later. Do not select use GUID. Click Apply. Shutdown your computer and detach the Samsung Drive. 

Note: The Kensington should boot. If you selected Copy without resize you can move the Recovery Partition to the right and expand C:

Edit: All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This allows you to back out if a mistake is made.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2018 - 04:01 PM.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

JohnC_21 is correct, But as I would do, leave some space at the end of the drive for over provisioning, I think Samsung's default is 10% but I usually go a little extra. I do not know if Kingston has this feature for their SSD's, But if they do then I would recommend that it be used

Over_Provisioning.png

Edited by Joe C, 24 May 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#12 JohnnyZenith

JohnnyZenith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users