Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble rolling back v1803

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brunoflorindo

brunoflorindo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

I know how to roll back using Windows 10 settings, or from advanced repair options if Windows 10 fails to boot 3 times. That's not the problem. I need to fix several computers (different brands and models) that stopped booting to the desktop after upgrading to v1803... Windows starts booting, and after about 10 seconds restarts, and this goes on a loop. No system restore points (of course), no safe mode, none of the usual fixes work. If I could boot to safe mode I could run "DISM /Online /Initiate-OSUninstall" via an elevated command prompt. The problem is that I can only boot to a command prompt if I use recovery media. And if I use recovery media, DISM says it can't run the /online command while in PE mode.

If there's a way to run the DISM command to run a /Initiate-OSUninstall on an offline image please show me (and us) how. I hope it's not impossible. I tried adjusting the usual DISM that is used to clean up Windows images by specifying the path to the Windows image and replacing the cleanup option with the "Initiate-OSUninstall" option and it didn't work. I hope there's a way to rollback feature upgrades by using recovery media.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

Just to confirm, using the below method to force advanced boot options still results in the computer booting after ten seconds?

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

I don't believe there is an offline option available to revert the OS, only pending changes.

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

System Drive letter may be something else in PE. You can use the following command to find the correct letter.

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"

Also, deleting the following file offline may work.

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 May 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#3 brunoflorindo

brunoflorindo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Hi. I've accessed the advanced options multiple times using the steps you describe. The rollback option is there, but it doesn't work. Just like "reset" doesn't. The DISM command I posted exists, but it seems it can only be used online (from a Windows installation that is running). I'm about to get ready to do a clean install, but I know why this happens. V1803 seems to create more problems on older PCs that were upgraded to 10. Clean installations work fine, but upgrades don't. I remember having this same problem when trying to update from 1607 to 1709. In the end, a clean install of 1709 was the only way to go. V1803 was not thoroughly tested... I will try deleting the pending.xml to see if it helps. I wish I knew what makes it automatically reboot before reaching the welcome screen. The option to disable autorestart in case of failure should freeze it and display a BSOD long enough to see a clue, but it doesn't. Thank you for your help.

#4 gamestationoh

gamestationoh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

Spoke to M$ Representative today and they say many users have the same problem. There is NO remedy yet short of a clean install, losing all data. He says to wait until Sunday May 27 2018 for a remedy provided by Microsoft... They will call you if you call them now and open a service ticket.

I would do NOTHING till contacting Microsoft and get their reply on Sunday. You may make their remedy invalid by attempting repairs that DO NOT WORK.

Here is my problem:

I have the same problem. Dell desktop running Windows 10. Update showed up around May 18th, 2018. I waited till Monday May 21 2018 to restart and install. I let it do its thing and returned to the room hours later to a Blue Screen with the Choose your Keyboard layout option. Chose "US", then options for rollback, repair, reset.... blah blah blah. Nothing worked, always returning loop to keyboard selection. No Safe mode. No power button repair... nothing works...

Incredible that a working computer with no issues for years is bricked with 1 update...

Edited by gamestationoh, 24 May 2018 - 04:31 PM.

#5 Carver Smith

Carver Smith

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

My "friend" brought me 2 laptops, HP and Lenovo, with the desktop problem.

I'm wondering since I looked in the WINDOWS.OLD, there is a desktop folder in there and there is not one in

windows\system32\config\regback

Anyone tried  copying the DESKTOP from windows.old to where it should belong

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

Thanks

#6 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

Please start and move this to your own posts so we can help you more and not confuse the OP. Here are some possible fixes I have seen and only one I have tried is this first one.

1. Start Windows key + R
2. Run cmd as administrator (CTRL + Shift+Enter)
3. Use the command "control userpasswords2" and create a new user with admin rights
4. *UPDATE* I just created a local account not online MS account
5. *UPDATE* In the cmd type "shutdown -L" for logout to login on the new user (Don't reboot since It might autologin into the old user and it takes forever)
6. On the new user explorer should work (It worked for me for some time)
7. *UPDATE* Explorer might crash on the new user just go to task manager and restart it with explorer.exe
8. Run the Media Creation Tool (1803) you downloaded from MS
9. And it should automatically detect some Windows updates then run the wizard
10. And follow the instructions and reboot a few times as asked by Windows
11. Then it should work like a charm ;-)

Here's the more permanent fix, but be warned that it is more difficult! 

1. Press Control + Alt + Delete
2. Select Task Manager from the menu
3. Select File, Run New Task, and type regedit.exe and hit enter
4. Scroll to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon
5. In the right-hand panel, scroll down, and find the key called "Shell". Make sure that, under the "Data" column, it says explorer.exe. If it doesn't, then right click on the Shell key and click "Modify" and change the value in this textbox to explorer.exe.

#7 brunoflorindo

brunoflorindo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Thank you for the replies. Deleting pending.xml didn't work. I backed up data using a Ubuntu live disk and reinstalled 7 on this computer. Yes, I know mainstream support ends sometime in 2020, but after keeping an eye on dozens of computers that were upgraded from 7 or 8.1 to 10 at some point, I noticed the older the computers are, the higher the changes of feature upgrades going terribly wrong. Microsoft should not have pushed free upgrades to 10 in older hardware. Lesson learned. This topic could be locked (if possible).

#8 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Okay, thanks for letting us know and at least it is resolved. Highly recommend creating an image backup before performing these updates if you are not doing it on a regular schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users