Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tech interview question, could not answer, re: host unreachable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

So, I am interviewing for a tech job with a medium sized business. And the admin asks me: you see a "destination host is unreachable" error. What is the problem?

I started to answer and more details were reveled.

NIC? The specific computer [box1] can see the other office computers on the network.

So I replied DNS? DNS is fine other computers can get out.

Configuration?There were no changes to the configuration of box1 and the gateway router is working fine.

I never suggested cable cause that would be too obscure. Or about pinging (both ways) as his posture said: "you should know this."

What answer was this interviewer looking for?

Being driven crazy is not a long drive.

Sincerely,

Obsessed by Question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:07 PM

Perhaps this article may answer your question:

https://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/05/destination-host-unreachable-reason-and.html

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

No idea what the interviewer was looking for, probably a glimpse into how you would troubleshoot an issue.

The first question to ask in any trouble shooting situation, "Has it ever worked?"  The time that one question will save you cannot be measured and it gives you a baseline to start with.  If it has never worked the possibilities are massive, including it will not work.

Next, in this case, can anyone else get to the computer?

This will establish the scope of the issue, just the machine you're working on, or more.  Normally if everyone is having the issue the target machine, or the network path, is the problem.  If not, it is this one machine.

If is the one machine I'd check what the current IP address is, 169.254.x.x and you're looking at a DCHP or network issue.  If you have an actual network address you can try to ping the machine by name to see if it resolves to an IP address or can't be reached.

Then again, this is really only really matters if the person asking the question has a fixed problem and doesn't keep moving the problem as you troubleshoot (yes, I've had these people interview me).

#4 29A

29A

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:08 AM

The error means that there is no path from the host machine to the destination.

Next action is to see if the destination is available from another machine.

If another machine is unavailable, then attempting to reach another machine across network.

This scopes the problem.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

They also could have been trying to see if you know the OSI model and the layered approach to networking problems. Always start with Layer 1 (is it plugged in).

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users