Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reimaging an internal drive issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 golduck222

golduck222

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

Hello All,

I am working on a Win 10 PC for a friend and have a question for the group. First let me state my environment. 

• target desktop PC,  windows version 1803 dell xps mid-tower
  • mSATA SSD extracted from DELL MB, 256gb
  • 4TB external seagate Hard drive with windows backup of SSD AND System Image
  • In Dell: 1.5 TB 7200 RPM  SATA Drive

Goal/question: is it possible to boot the dell from recovery media, then reimage the 1.5 TB using image from external hard drive while keeping the remainder of the 1.5TB as free space? How do I do this?

This is all being done because the ssd that came with the dell is full.

Thanks!

Mod Edit:  Removed email address, protection form spambots - Hamluis.

Chris

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2018 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Some imaging programs allow you to resize the partitions on the fly. If not you may need to use a partition manager to resize your partitions after the image is restored. In any case a partition manager like Partition Wizard would allow you to manage any partitions you want resized or moved after the image is restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users