Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cannot access the specified device path

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

I am getting windows cannot access the specified device path error message,I  cannot use anything on my laptop i click computer ,document,picture or control panel or any folder it says windows cannot access the specified device path .

I can use only internet and nothing else on my laptop ,please help .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Second - a little more information please. Make and model of your laptop and the version of Windows you are using.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

Lenovo  T420 windows 7

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

The first thing I would try given what you have said so far is SFC (System File Checker), this attempts to repair faulty or corrupted Windows files. To do this -

Can you click on the 'Start' button ?  If you can, type either 'command' or merely 'cmd' into the search box (ALL typing without the '  ' ). This should return a fiile 'command.exe' at the top of any list. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator'. This will produce a small black coloured Window with white text which ends in a blinking underscore, the cursor. Type 'sfc /scannow' (Note there is a space between sfc and /scannow) and press 'Enter'. This will start SFC running. Let it run until it completes, this can take up to an hour, and at the end it will produce a report which will essentially say one of three things -

1  No file errors were found.

2  File errors were found and repaired

3  File errors were found and not fixed.

If either 1 or 2 then see if your system is working properly again. If 3, repeat the process. It can take two or three attempts to fix all possible errors.

If you cannot get to 'command.exe using the above method then try it in 'Safe mode'. Normally on a Win 7 computer you get to safe mode by pressing the F8 key several times while the BIOS screen is showing immediately after you switch on. This is the screen with the maker's name over it. Pressing F8 will take you to a screen, again white text on a black background, where you will have several options. Choose 'Start in Safe Mode with command prompt. Once you get to the prompt type 'SFC /scannow' as above and see what happens.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

Hi Chris i typed cmd and pressed enter black window opens but i can't find   run as administrator,i tried typing after c:/users/gaurav>  it says you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use sfc utility

#6 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

i was finally able to log in as administrator but after 9% it says window protection could not perform thr requested operation.
c:/windows /system32>

#7 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

i was finally able to log in as administrator but after 9% it says window protection could not perform thr requested operation.
c:/windows /system32>

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

If the system used to work properly what do you think happened to it since the last time it did work properly?

Are you able to perform a System Restore to a date/time prior to this affliction?

If you don't have a genuine bootable Windows 7 SP1 installation CD/DVD or USB you can make one and see about performing a System Restore from there or perform a Repair Install of the system.

A Repair install sure beats a reinstall which is about the only "solution" to this I have seen on the Internet and could be the direction you are headed.

Edited by joseibarra, 25 May 2018 - 12:33 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

@ joseibarra #8

I don't disagree with you about possibly having to do a re-install but I am hoping we can avoid that. I had thought of system restore but the OP's statement that he cannot access 'Control panel' led me in the direction of SFC first.

@ gauravtyag00

Do you have data on this computer that is (1) important, and (2) not backed up ?  If you do I can suggest ways of getting this data saved to an external drive without using Windows. Once any such data is backed up safely you can then consider the possibilty of doing a re-install which is a very tedious business but at least your data would be safe. By data I mean stuff like work, music, video, photos and so on.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

No i don't have any data that needs to be saved. i tried to open the machine now it says Windows failed to start.
status 0xc000000f
info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

It is not necessary to get to Control Panel to run System Restore but it sounds like things are beginning to deteriorate.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

yes do you think this machine can be saved or i should buy new one.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

A very quick Google suggest that this machine was released to the market in 2011 so it is probably between 5 and 6 years old at least. So the possibility of a replacement machine would not shock me, laptops eventually fail.

This is now beginning to sound as though your hard drive is very close to being dead. OK, laptop hard drives are not that expensive but you would then be faced with doing a complete install and that would include finding the system drivers for that computer and Win 7. In Uk prices a hard drive would set you back £50 +/- and installing and updating Windows and re-installing all your applications would take the best part of a weekend unless you have a good disc image. We bought my wife a new Lenovo laptop a couple of months ago for £325 which is perfectly functional for her needs and for any general computing uses.

To determine if your HDD is functional or not if you have access to another computer download Seagate's 'SeaTools for DOS'. I keep a copy on my desk so it is a while since I downloaded it but I think it downloads as an ISO file which needs to be unpacked to a CD or USB before you can use it. It is a self booting disk and if you decide to try this run the 'Short' test first. If your disk fails this, it is toast. If it passes run the 'Long' test which gives a much more detailed view of any problems on your HDD.

But that is your decision.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 May 2018 - 05:36 PM.

#14 gauravtyagi00

gauravtyagi00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Thanks alot in taking out time to address my problem.ill buy a new laptop.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

I think that is almost certainly the correct decision.

Just be aware that any new laptop you buy yourself will come with Win 10 on it. It is a bit of a learning curve from Win 7, probably the biggest difference is that a lot things like settings are not quite where you are used to finding them. I do advise that you make a point of working through the settings section to make sure that things like privacy settings are set to the options you want and not necessarily the defaults as set by MS. Despite all the flak Win 10 took when it was released, and since, at heart it is quite a good OS with some real improvements over Win 7. Over and above that, move yourself over to the Win 10 section of BC - you will find a lot of help and advce there.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users