Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feature update to WIndows 10, update 1803

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 d5311

d5311

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

I was part way through the update when a Windows Update popup says: You need to remove these Apps, and select Refresh.  And goes on to indicate the offending App as Avira AntiVir.  I cannot find this software installed anywhere. Plus info on the internet says Avira doesn't provide the Uninstaller any more.  What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/902 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 d5311

d5311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

I have gone thru the process of downloading the Avira Registry Cleaner, starting in Safe Mode, running the Cleaner, and doing the "netsh winsock reset" from the Command Prompt, and the Windows Update still won't run with the same message:

You need to remove these Apps, and select Refresh.  And goes on to indicate the offending App as Avira AntiVir.

Do you or the others have any further ideas?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

Download Everything and do a search for Avira.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Download and run AutoRuns. Search for Avira. Uncheck any box next to any found entries. Reboot and if the computer runs normally then you can highlight and click the red X to remove.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Download Regscanner and search for Avira. Be very careful you are deleting only Avira entries.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

#5 d5311

d5311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

(Refer to the above string of info.)

the cleaner from Avira ran and still no better.

I ran voidtools and no change

I ran autoruns and no change

I ran regscanner and deleted all keys/data it found relayed to Avira, still the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 says Avira AntiVir cannot be removed.

What are the next steps?

Thanks for the responses,

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

"I ran regscanner and deleted all keys/data it found relayed to Avira, still the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 says Avira AntiVir cannot be removed​"

--- That’s definitely a drawback.

Try the Troubleshooter in control panel for Windows Update.

It should create a report of what's wrong, maybe even include the location of Avira AntiVir or remnant of what cannot be removed.

I know I'm speculating but maybe whatever cannot be removed is considered a system file for whatever reason.

--- Consider selecting Show hidden files, folders and drives (I believe you may have already done that part) and also unchecking Hide protected operating system files [Recommended] in the View tab of Folder options.

--- Make sure to set them back to Restore defaults afterward.

What anti-virus protection are you using?

With all of what you have tried, the following ideas might not make sense, but they only take a couple of minutes to find out.

Try ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

See if Avira is listed in the Applications tab.

Check the cookies: Select Options and then Cookies

--- if there are any Avira cookies in the right panel, move them to the left panel.

Analyze and run the cleaner.

--- Run the registry: look for any Avira entries.

Go to www.belarc.com

Upon completion, scroll down to the Virus Protection section

Scroll down to the Software Versions & Usage section

--- If Avira is in the list, you can Mouse over to see details, click to see where software is installed

#7 d5311

d5311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Here's an update.

I found a batch file to run to help identify the offending App. Good news - I just Googled "Feature update fro Windows 10, version 1803 cannot uninstall Avira.

Here is the link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/feature-update-to-windows-10-version-1803/5264e718-35d0-4c56-bf14-98d880aaf781

There is an downloadable zip file called https://aka.ms/AppRPS

When I ran it, it came up with an App called avipbb.sys located in c:\windows\syswow64\drivers as the offending App causing the update to stop.

For now, until someone smarter than me tells me to do something different, I renamed the file,  Rebooted the pc (Dell Dimension 3250), and reran the update and it completed successfully.

That is all I can say for now.

Goodnight.

#8 d5311

d5311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

FYI to all based on cmptrgy response above:

- I use CCleaner all the time and it did not detect this.

- I use McAfee LiveSafe and it did not detect this.

- I ran Avira's cleaner and it did not delete this.

- Shown above I ran the other requested stuff, they did not detect this.

- It wasn't until I found the Appraiser.bat download and ran it that this was located in a "drivers" directory.

- I have hidden files set to show up, and this does show up, but nothing else but the MS Update seemed to be able to find it based on my experience until I ran Appraiser.bat.

Should I leave the offending driver renamed or delete it?

Thanks for all of the wonderful help. I am not computer savvy and this $__t drives me nuts!!

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,353 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Should I leave the offending driver renamed or delete it?

Thanks for all of the wonderful help. I am not computer savvy and this $__t drives me nuts!!

Leave it renamed, at least for a while.  If it's needed you will eventually get some error message that indicates that it is.  I doubt that will happen and after sufficient time has passed (say a month or two of your routine usage) then delete it.

Believe me, even the most computer savvy among us has a lot of, "this $__t [is driving] me nuts!!," moments.  There's always something that you just can't figure out and you need to turn to others to get fresh sets of eyes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Here's an update.

I found a batch file to run to help identify the offending App. Good news - I just Googled "Feature update fro Windows 10, version 1803 cannot uninstall Avira.

Here is the link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/feature-update-to-windows-10-version-1803/5264e718-35d0-4c56-bf14-98d880aaf781

There is an downloadable zip file called https://aka.ms/AppRPS

When I ran it, it came up with an App called avipbb.sys located in c:\windows\syswow64\drivers as the offending App causing the update to stop.

For now, until someone smarter than me tells me to do something different, I renamed the file,  Rebooted the pc (Dell Dimension 3250), and reran the update and it completed successfully.

That is all I can say for now.

Goodnight.

Thanks for your excellent feedback and solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users