Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with a bandwidth problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XtreamStealth

XtreamStealth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

I'm stumped, I've been having a problem with my ISP regarding Data Caps. For a long time I've been paying a lot for high speed cable internet. I have never needed cable TV or phone and this has never been a problem till now. The ISP I use has been on a campaign to force all of there users into paying for all there services. What was once unlimited data at 300 Mbps is now Up to 300 Mbps but with a Cap of 1 Gig per month. We don't watch a lot of TV show, so we subscribe to a few streaming sites. (hulu, Netflix, CBS all Access). mostly my wife and I watch hulu streamed through the a high end home built gaming computer that is hard wired from my ISP's router. My daughter and her boyfriend have another high end gaming computer that's running WiFi, and then there is my Racing Simulator which uses a very high end home built computer that is also hard wired. So over the last four days, streaming hulu in my bedroom has at times been impossible. first we started seeing that little buffer wheel, something that has never been seen in this house. 

Just to back up a little, two months ago we had the same problem. Mind you, this only happens on the system in my room, we call her "BigRed" and only streaming video. After a lot of trouble shooting and calls to my ISP, and hulu support I was informed be a very kind hulu tech that my browser was being corrupted and that was preventing me from streaming. We'd clear it out, it would work, but stop after five or ten minutes. I commented to the hulu tech, "gee, I wonder if my ISP could be fouling it in an attempted to force me to sign up for cable TV'. The techs response, "you might be right". By the end of the conversation she openly confirmed that it was indeed my ISP that was fouling by browser, over and over. Well a not so nice call informing my ISP that I had proof of there doings and that streaming problem went away. Oh they continue to claim the problem is me going over this Cap of Data for which they charge me extra, If I choose to order their full bundle, internet, TV and Phone, they will lift the Cap, price about $160 extra, Or I could pay an extra $50 a month up front for my internet and they will look the other way if I happen to go over my Data Cap, non refundable even if I stay under my Cap, but it would insure trouble free video streaming. :) Can anyone say MOB Protection Extortion? NO! So, hear I am two months later having what I thought was the same problem with BigRed. However, two nights ago while on the phone with hulu support, I was told my browser was not corrupted. However, after repeated checking the hulu tech informed me that as far a they could tell, the problem had to be my computer, he said my bandwidth was so low that at times it was undetectable and clearly to low or slow to steam video. I checked the other systems in the house, no problem streaming at all. Fun fact, if I choose to, I could stream more than 10 HD videos on THOR my Sim System and never brake a sweat. So, what's up, After 24hrs of speed testing the systems in my home. here's what I have, Using something like, say, Xfinity Speed Test on both BigRed the system have problems and THOR my Sim System the average readings are about the same for both, Download: 298.7 Mbps / Upload: 11.89 Mbps / Latency: 11 ms. No problem, but things look very different when tested with "Speedof.me" THOR's Download: 309.9 Mbps / Upload 13.98 Mbps / Latency: 22 ms. but BigRed's Download bonces from 8.27 Mbps to as low as 2.01 Mbps / Upload: 11.02 Mbps / Latency: 21 ms. The more I tested BigRed the lower the download numbers would go. All cables have been switched at least three times. Router been reset. Now when the numbers are above say 5 Mbps I can stream kinda, its not smooth and at times buffers. A check of BigRed and she seems to be working fine. Any thoughts?

Here are the specs for both systems

BigRed system have bandwidth problems

MB:    Asus Crosshair Formula V

BIOS Version: 1703

CPU: FX 4170 @ 4.2 and Water cooled

RAM: 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1600

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on a 500 GB Hard drive

2 x 500 GB Drives Storage.

LAN Driver: up to date

Network Adapter: Intel 82583V Gigabit Network Connection

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB

Screen used: 52" Philips LCD TV

THOR my Sim System - I'll keep it simple`

MB: Asus Sabertooth X79

CPU: i7 4820K @ 4.7 and Water cooled

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 running at 2100

GPU: Aorus 1080 it 11GB

6TB of Storage

System will run Project CARS 2 on Steam @ 160fps across three 24" LG 144Hz Gaming Monitors

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

Wow......awesome home systems dude, no problems with spec's there!

But what about the router itself, and how its configured for bandwidth sharing between devices?

Many people overlook this.

Is it an ISP supplied modem/router, or an aftermarket 'high-end' dual band gaming router?

This may, or may not be contributing to the issue........A high end gaming router will allow you more configurable bandwidth sharing configurations within its interface allowing you more control over what device receives what.

Depending on how configurations are set, it may be possible that Ethernet connected devices are receiving bandwidth priority over WiFi connected devices also?

Its an area i would probably take a look at, and do some research into.

A top class, reputable VPN service may also help to deflect any suspicions of ISP monitoring and browser interference?

Edited by Replicator, 22 May 2018 - 08:48 PM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

if you have a data cap and your streaming 1080p or 4k video then your going to hit that data cap pretty easy, within a week.

at my house all my devices are set to receive streaming video at 720p or less.   just so i avoid hitting my 700G data cap.

I also have watched my data usage and have limited my routers down speed so I can average about 25G a day usage.

these are just a couple options you could do to help control your bandwidth usage.

#4 XtreamStealth

XtreamStealth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Thanks to you both, the router is least to me from my ISP, both systems I've listed are hard wired to the router. My daughter's gaming system is WiFi. The router its self is about four feet from BigRed with a 5 foot cat 5 and Thor is across the house using two 25 foot cat 5 cables. so the wifi is not the problem. If there is some kind of a priority setup in the router, it would be new and something I didn't do. BigRed has always been the lead system on my network. I'm going to disconnect from BigRed and plug that cat 5 into a laptop and see it there's a difference. About using my own router. About two years ago I did that with an Asus high end dual band router. after six months we started having trouble, call our ISP and they sent  a tech who spent five hours at our home. He replaced my router with one of there's and before he left had to switch it out three times. He confided to me, not to hook my router up again. He said he couldn't say why, just that I shouldn't do it. I will re comment after I've tried a different system on this line.  

#5 XtreamStealth

XtreamStealth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

PS we do not stream 4k video here as non of our TVs are 4k. We are much more careful about data now, we still seem to go over before the end of our billing cycle but its very minimal, costing me $10 extra a month.

#6 XtreamStealth

XtreamStealth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

What is a top class, reputable VPN service?

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

You will get many opinions on this topic and I can only advise on what i use!

Through my experience, for absolute Privacy and Performance, take a look at Mullvad.

Its expensive, but any VPN service worth using is not free!

The main points for me were the fast delivery of server requests with no decrease over routed speeds, and its secure ability to 'plug' any potential DNS leakage!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users