Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading old Asus barebone HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eternallynewb

Eternallynewb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

Bought Asus P1-P5945G barebone for $10 (Learning on it, major noob, 1st pc torn into). Wanting to know what parts I can replace/upgrade to make this a good PC by today's standards. How do I know which parts are compatible or not? How do I go about new software & will it work with this PC? Wanting to tear it down & put it back together to get an idea of how it works.
Known parts so far:
CPU Intel i2 duo(supposedly LGA775/T socket?)
PSU 200W Asus p/n: 04g185003006 (works)
MB: p5L8L/p-p5945g/dp_mb
2X: DDR2 1GB
So far I don't see the GPU or HDD I believe the HDD is under the optical drive, hopefully. Bought thermal paste & tool kit, anything else I should have?
Remember this is my first project, please help a girl out with any advice or tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Ehh looks like its impossible to do, the motherboard is proprietary and the form factor is extremely limited for upgrading.

Its no wonder why it was so cheap.

The only thing to do with this one is possibly max its ram to its 4Gig limit.

Otherwise it looks like a dead end with only a single Sata connector and IDE/PATA on its motherboard.

So upgrading the hard drive is laughable, I mean you can still find PATA/IDE drives but they are no longer mass produced so you are at the mercy of used hard drives and higher prices... its a bit lost cause there.

I mean you can get sata to IDE connectors but limited space in that case is a concern.

Best just making this into a linux box or something, luckily it can take 64Bit OS's so there is that.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 May 2018 - 08:31 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users