Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sihost.exe and explorer.exe : Unknown Hard Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mel_Flynn99

Mel_Flynn99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hi, Ive recently installed the new update of Windows 10 and two errors occured : sihost.exe : Unknown Hard Error, and Explorer.exe : Unknown Hard Error

Ive tried to perform a cleanboot, didnt find any corrupted file. Then I performed a chkdsk /f /r via the administrator command prompt, nothing changed. I also tried to do a sfc /scannow but for some reason, I couldnt ..

I even tried to delete the last update, you may guess that it didnt work.
I was thinking about downloading a software that could scan + delete the corrupted file(s) but since I cant get access to Internet anymore, I cant download anything...

Does someone have a solution ?
Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:52 PM

Do you use Avast or Avg?

If yes, have a read of this thread. It can be sorted

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8l5vim/the_latest_update_debacle_windows_10_1803_upgrade/

#3 sage19

sage19

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

I've run into a couple of machines that have had this problem. I've had these steps fix the problem, not sure its the only solution. Maybe it will direct someone to a quicker fix.

For these steps you will have Windows 10 installation media created on another machine. Don't use an old one, create a new one so that it has the latest build, link here  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Login an account that is an admistrator account. ignore the error messages you get when you login.

2. CTRL + ALT + DELETE

3. Choose Task manager.

4. Choose File -> RUN. type cmd.exe, check the run as administrator box

5. type "net user administrator /active:yes" 

6. CTRL + ALT + DELETE

7. Sign out.

8. In lower right hand corner, choose the now unlocked Administrator account and sign in. Its been asking to reset the password. either choose a password or leave the fields blank and hit enter. We will disable this account later when fixed.

9. Once the account logs in, insert the Windows 10 media, either flash drive or dvd is fine, but it runs much faster off of a good usb drive.

10. CTRL + ALT + DELETE, choose task manager again

11. FILE -> Run. choose browse. Find the installation media and choose the setup.exe file on it. Click ok, make sure the run as

administrator box is checked.

12. This will launch the windows 10 setup. You should be able to click next through all the prompts to start setup. If you created the latest installation version it should say that it will keep all your files and settings. If its doesn't say this, I recommend recreating your media with latest media creation tool from MS. I've only tested these steps with the latest installer.

After the installer finished, login to the Administrator account. The error messages should now be gone. Log off the Admin account and login to your main account.

click the Start button, type cmd.exe, it should show up in search box, right click and choose Run as Administrator. In command windows type  "net user administrator /active:no". type "exit" 

The Admin account is now disabled and your system should be back up and running.

#4 LoonyToon

LoonyToon

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for posting the link above, the beginning of the post describes exactly what I've experienced so far with the exception that the machine I have the problem with doesn't find the wireless adapter. I'll read it in detail and let you know what happens

Thanks again

#5 LoonyToon

LoonyToon

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thank you for posting the link above, it's going to be very useful to me.

Just to clarify, I have a question or two:

Will the avastclear.exe remove AVG OK or, is there a different tool specifically for that product?

Can I reinstall AVG after applying the fix?

Thanks again.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 May 2018 - 03:55 PM.
Duplicate post deleted.

#6 sage19

sage19

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

Avast clear will not remove AVG, you have to run the AVG removal tool for that. Personally when i fixed the couple I've run into, I hadn't removed the AV before running the 10 installer. Avast ran fine on those after the update the system was working again though. Don't remember if I've seen one that has the problem with AVG yet.

#7 LoonyToon

LoonyToon

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Thanks sage19, that's useful to know :)

I followed the the link you posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download the ISO to a USB drive. Everything was going fine but it has failed twice now with 2mins 25secs remaining. Any ideas what might be going on there?

Thanks.

Bye the way, apologies for the double post / bump everyone, it wasn't intentional!

#8 sage19

sage19

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Several things to try. Sometimes the installer just doesn't like your flash drive. Try another one and see if makes any difference. Also depending on your internet speed the creation tool may download corrupted files. You may have to turn on show hidden files and delete the c:\$WINDOWS.~BT Folder to force it redownload.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users