Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there anything new in prevention on popunders in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ponschock21

ponschock21

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Does BC have a guide for housecleaning the HD to get rid of pop unders in free tools ?  My browser is Firefox.  A search before writing doesn't show anything recent.  What I noticed is I'm getting more

'sources' for the pop unders where I originally had just one.

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Exactly...what are you talking about or referring to?

In your world...what is a "popunder" and how did you previously rid yourself of such?

"Housecleaning" is a term frequently used by members to refer to malware...do you have a malware problem?

Louis

#3 ponschock21

ponschock21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

It's rare for me to have any malware and I run Malwarebytes from time to time plus tdskiller and the like.

These popunders are recent and they are the small square announcements that appear lower screen right-- (until they find a new place I suppose.)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

MS Says...

Louis

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

I, also, have never heard the term "popunders" prior to now.

In Windows 10 Toasts, as they are known, that slide in from the lower right hand corner of the screen and that you can dismiss, or allow them to dismiss themselves, are part and parcel of the ecosystem.  They're not what's shown in the page whose link was given by hamluis.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 ponschock21

ponschock21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

Well toast(s) pop up yes?

I will look at the malware guides provided.  Just ran Spybot and everything was clean or in the green.

These agressive intrusions do not seem related to what's open.  I was surprised by the 'source' of the

latest one not having it's page open in any way.

But if that's the case I'll have to be resigned or keep looking.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

Toasts "pop out," really, though "pop up" makes sense, too.   Hence, the general use of the term "pop-up blocker".

I have experienced, and only within web browsers, what could be accurately called a pop-under.  A new tab or window (depending on how the browser is set) is opened by another webpage but it does not receive focus at the time.  You tend to discover them as you're closing down your browser windows just before shutting down.

Take a screen shot of a couple of the things you're making reference to.  It would certainly help with having someone recognize what their source might be.

It would also help if you would do the following, as there are all sorts of gaps that it would be helpful to have filled:  

Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report them on BleepingComputer

1.  Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2.  Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.  Note:  Speccy free now comes with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it.  Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install both of these when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence.  When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.  You will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3.  From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item (or press ALT+F,U):

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4.  You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5.  Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 ponschock21

ponschock21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

I prefer not to publish and will close the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users