Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 1803 upgrade and Avast Antivirus break everything

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

The symptoms of the problem so far

Multiple users between Sunday, May 20 and Monday, May 21 have reported receiving a request to "restart and install updates" in Windows 10. This update appears to be the Windows 10 April 2018 update, also known as "1803". Upon restarting, the computer boots to a blue screen asking the user to choose a keyboard language. After doing so, they are taken to another blue screen with three options to continue "booting" to:

• Windows Rollback

• Windows 10 on Volume [x]

• Windows 10 on Volume [x]

The lower two options are identical.

If the user chooses the top option, the computer will restart. If the user chooses either of the latter two options, Windows will appear to boot, but end up on a blank, black desktop with no icons, and an error message that the Desktop file could not be accessed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8l5vim/the_latest_update_debacle_windows_10_1803_upgrade/

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 May 2018 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

This particular update has been as messy as the very earliest ones were.

It is quite apparent that Microsoft did not wait long enough as far as pushing back the public release on this one.   I don't know when technology companies, and not just Microsoft, are going to learn that as far as the user base is concerned it's better late and "perfect" (or as close as one can get to it) than on schedule and bug ridden.

One of the reasons I got out of software development was the attitude among management, that could never be quashed (and even if those managers started out in the programming ranks and knew "what's what"), that there's always time to do it over, but never time to do it right in the first place.  I don't know of a single development team that believes in any approach that constitutes, "the perfect is the enemy of the good," but most do want to put out good product and know full well when it is, and is not, ready for primetime.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure how they can blame avast at this point and not even show any proof.  I see it happening on lot's of Lenovo machines, but also on some others, as it is still early, it's hard to say for me at least.  I don't disagree though as I believe Avast was on at least a few of these machines, but avast maybe the #1 free av and is on most machines?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Confirmed by avast that it's a conflict with 1803 and avast's behavior shield.

Hi everyone,

In cooperation with Microsoft we have identified an element of the latest Windows 10 1803 update that is incompatible with the Avast Behavior Shield, causing the aforementioned update to fail in some instances (related to a timing issue, Internet connectivity issue, etc). Luckily, we have found a way to prevent the problem and are now automatically pushing a VPS update to all customers which makes sure that the problem doesn't happen.  The VPS number is 180524-08; all users running this version (or later) should be 100% safe.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219218.msg1463080#msg1463080

Edit: Avast says it's not specific to avast.

In the meantime, we continue to investigate the this issue which appears to affect only a small subset of our customers. 
BTW at this stage, we know it's not an Avast-specific issue as the problem affects other software as well. The instructions above should work in all cases.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 May 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Some Additional info.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3276646/microsoft-windows/avast-blames-microsoft-for-win10-1803-upgrade-blue-screens-nonsensical-options.html

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for all your hard word John!  Good stuff bro

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere