Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop PC connecting to a specific router but no internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheWildCard

TheWildCard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:35 AM

I'm helping a neighbour resolve an issue with the wireless connection between their primary desktop PC and their router, and as such, I have limited time to access the PC.

The main issue is that the desktop PC can search for and connect to the router wirelessly, however the connection status is "Limited" and cannot access any websites. PC and router were working as expected previously.

The desktop PC has a wireless card which connects to the wireless router via a wireless range extender.

My first step was to run the built in "Windows Network Diagnostics". There were two different messages that I received throughout my testing.

1) The DNS server isn't responding

2) Investigate router or broadband modem issues

Next I unplugged the router, turning it off and on again. This had no impact.

I then started testing using known goods.

1) Both a laptop and a phone were able to connect to the router

2) The desktop PC was able to connect to my android phone when acting as a hotspot using mobile data

3) The desktop PC was able to connect to my android phone when acting as a hotspot using WiFi sharing (connected to the same router)

4) Unfortunately, I did not have access to an ethernet cable long enough to test whether the desktop PC could establish a wired connection with the router

From this, I came to the conclusion that it does not seem to be a hardware issue.

I then accessed the router configuration (192.168.0.1) from a laptop.

1) I tried changing the WiFi channel. No effect.

2) I checked the list of connected devices. The desktop PC was not listed, and there were two instances of "UNKNOWN" devices connected to the router.

I started using cmd to test.

1) I tried pinging the Google DNS server (8.8.8.8). Request timed out.

2) I tried pinging the router. Request timed out.

3) I ran ipconfig /all. Nothing seemed obviously wrong when compared against the same command run for the working laptop (however this isn't one of my strengths, so this is mainly an assumption). The PC has an IP address ending in x.x.x.100

I attempted to manually set an IP address and DNS server (Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4). No effect. Changed back to automatic.

Finally, in an act of near desperation, I ran netsh winsock reset catalog and restarted the computer. Still no effect.

I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

Edited by TheWildCard, 22 May 2018 - 05:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

start the computer in safe mode.....will it work fine in safe mode?

#3 TheWildCard

TheWildCard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

It's worth a try. I'll attempt it tonight when I get home from work. I'll also be taking an ethernet cable along to see if that makes a difference. Just concerened that this is more of a "workaround" than a "fix".

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

It's worth a try. I'll attempt it tonight when I get home from work. I'll also be taking an ethernet cable along to see if that makes a difference. Just concerened that this is more of a "workaround" than a "fix".

it's not a fix,

but if it works in safe mode that will give clues as to what the problem really is,

after trying safe mode you should try doing a clean boot,

after you DO get it connected i would run ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes

Edited by mikey11, 22 May 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

it's not a fix,

but if it works in safe mode that will give clues as to what the problem really is,

you can eliminate this step by checking to see if you can connect wirelessly with your phone.  if you can then it's probably the computer.  if you can't then i would do a factory reset on the router and set it back up again.

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

My main suspect would be the wifi range extender and ensuring its configured correctly.

You say the Desktop PC access's the router through this extender simply because of 'physical' distance to and from devices.....is this correct?

You say the laptop and other devices connect ok without issues......are they also running through the range extender?

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#7 TheWildCard

TheWildCard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:54 AM

My main suspect would be the wifi range extender and ensuring its configured correctly.

You say the Desktop PC access's the router through this extender simply because of 'physical' distance to and from devices.....is this correct?

You say the laptop and other devices connect ok without issues......are they also running through the range extender?

I had slight suspicions about the range extender as well, but I've had no experience working with them in the past and would have no idea how to check the configuration and which devices are connected to it.

And you are correct that I've assumed that the desktop PC is connected to the extender based on physical difference.

#8 TheWildCard

TheWildCard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

it's not a fix,

you can eliminate this step by checking to see if you can connect wirelessly with your phone.  if you can then it's probably the computer.  if you can't then i would do a factory reset on the router and set it back up again.

I mentioned in the original post that other devices (laptop and phone) were able to connect to the router, although I didn't specifically mention that they connected wirelessly.

I also mentioned that the desktop PC was able to wirelessly connect to a different device (my phone).

As such, I do not believe it is a problem with the router or the PC, but with the connection between the two.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

As such, I do not believe it is a problem with the router or the PC, but with the connection between the two.

sssssoooo....what was the result when you tried to start in safe mode?

#10 TheWildCard

TheWildCard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

sssssoooo....what was the result when you tried to start in safe mode?

I didn't get a chance to try last night unfortunately. I usually work quite late, so it can be a pain to catch the neighbours at a good time.

#11 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

Basically the range extender must match the routers settings for bandwidth channel and wireless frequency (ie 2.4ghz or 5ghz)

Security Encryption should be the same on both the router and extender also (ie WPA2 etc)

Wireless Password is not so important but if they are the same, it makes setup & connection a whole bunch easier.

For SSID, I recommend that you use a different one from the router as your neighbour will have a much easier time in “forcing” his devices to connect to the wireless node that makes the most sense. (is within the strongest signal range).

Especially if connecting mobile devices which are roaming around the network.

Its my guess that his desktop NIC is constantly sending out probes to try and connect to the router, rather than the range extender.

Take a look here for config instructions (this is for a TP-link, but most will be the same)!

Good Luck :thumbup2:

Edited by Replicator, 23 May 2018 - 10:16 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users