Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screenshot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yzoldowl

yzoldowl

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

This is an HP ProBook 4520, and it will not  "do" a screenshot!  I've tried <CTRL><prt sc>, <ALT><prt sc> and a number of other combinations.  I also tried plugging in an auxiliary keyboard, disabling the built-in.  It just won't!  Very frustrating!  Pretty sure it's a setting that I'm missing somewhere.  Thanks in advance for any help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

Have you tried just plain PrtSc then going into Paint and pasting?

That should take a full screen screen shot, while ALT+PrtSc takes only the active window.

Just checking to see if you've covered all bases.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

What do you think is supposed to happen when you press <CTRL><prt sc> or <ALT><prt sc>?

Nothing is supposed to "print" like some folks think.

What happens is the entire screen (for PrtSc) of just the active window for (ALT+PrtSc) gets copied to the Windows clipboard.

The screenshot that is on the clipboard can then be pasted (Ctrl-V) into other programs like MS Paint, MS Word, etc.

After you make your screenshot open something like Microsoft Paint, the press Ctrl-V (paste) to paste the contents of the Windows clipboard into Paint, then you can save the image.

Alternatively in MS Paint you could press the Paste button which will paste the contents of the Windows clipboard into Paint:

[attachment=204743:Untitled.jpg]

You can also use the Windows Snipping tool which you can read about here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Practice a little and you will get the desired results and become an expert screenshooter.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 grupaul

grupaul

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:06 AM

I also have an HP and I just press the Print Screen button and copy it to MS paint and save the image.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

i don't know about you guys but i use <shift> + <printscreen> to do a screen capture.

and then <ctrl>+v to paste it into paint or whatever.  alt printscreen has never worked for me.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

For me, just straight PrtSc and Shift+PrtSc both take a full screen screenshot and place it on the clipboard.   Alt+PrtSc takes a shot only of the window (or dialog) that has current focus.

Afterward either can be pasted into Paint or any other image handling program that allows pasting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 yzoldowl

yzoldowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

Yes, ordinarily any or all of these tips would work.  And yes, I am well-versed in how to do a screenshot:  you simply take the shot, then paste it into an image.  The thing is, something has to be on the clipboard to paste it into an image.  When I try to take a screenshot, nothing happens!  <CTRL> <PrtSc> works on my other two computers, but not this one.  As I said, I think I'm missing a setting somewhere along the line.  

Now is there any help beyond that basic?  Like how to get into the settings on this thing?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

I'd be more inclined to be doing an SFC /SCANNOW in a command prompt running as administrator as the first step.

The keystrokes I gave are Windows built-in keystrokes, part and parcel of the OS itself.  If they aren't working then I suspect OS corruption of some sort and, if everything else seems to be pretty much hunky-dory, probably a trivial one that SFC might repair.

~ Mark Twain

#9 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Also, just as an addition to what britechguy has suggested, I have found it necessary (from personal experience) to run the sfc /scannow command more than once to repair any corruption.

Edited by sikntired, 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Click the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

osk

Click the osk.exe to launch the On-Screen keyboard, then click the PrtScn button:

[attachment=204793:Untitled.jpg]

If your sound is working you will hear a camera shutter like sound when the screen is copied to the Windows clipboard.

Then open Paint and click the Paste button (top left corner) or press Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard into Paint.

Perform those steps as prescribed to be sure you don't accidentally copy something else to the clipboard in between

If that works the PrtScn function works and you might have a keyboard or key assignment issue or cockpit error.

Edited by joseibarra, 25 May 2018 - 12:03 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users