Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary HDD starts spinning continuously nonstop.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

I am using a Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive as a secondary drive.

This is my hardware package: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AzureD/saved/s4RKZL

Usually it stays idle but eventually it starts to make these sounds:

drrt vpp vpp drrt drrt ..... drrt vpp vpp drrt drrt ..... drrt vpp vpp drrt drrt

It repeats this with regularity and same tempo and does so for a several minutes but not for an hour.

Sounds similar to how the HDD sounds when it starts but this is more like you took those sounds and interrupted them midway. Sound is louder than when copy pasting something big. The drrt sound being the drive head being moved probably. Sounds like this https://youtu.be/J09pWNQPK7U?t=5 but not completing it. No idea what the vpp sound is.

I can make the sound stop by opening a file that leads to the drive. As long as the file in the drive is big it will stop when I open it giving me some relief for a couple of minutes. I can also shut it up by copy pasting some enormous file.

It has been really annoying because of how loud it is to the point that I wear headphones so I can not hear it as much. This basically prevents me from using my speakers normally.

I used the resource monitor and task manager whenever it starts to make those sounds. I check if anything is being written to the T drive which is what the hard drive is designated as but I see nothing show up.

Task Manager displays 0% usage when it is making those sounds. When I open a big file on that drive usage jumps up some 2% or so and the sound stops temporarily.

Is this perhaps normal how Hitachi HDD operates? Otherwise this is the loudest Hard Drive I have ever owned. I can hear it from halfway across my home. It has been acting like this since I first installed it.

Nothing negative seems to be happening other than it being loud and it does not sound like a failing disk drive otherwise. It also does not do this unless the computer has been turned on for a few hours. Rebooting computer will make it go away for a few hours but I am not sure it is a good idea to reboot computer every single time HDD starts making that sound for several times a day.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 21 May 2018 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

you can use crystal disk info and check your HDD's smart health and see if it's dying.

#3 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

you can use crystal disk info and check your HDD's smart health and see if it's dying.

How do I check if it is dying? It says my drives health status is bad. Reallocated Sectors Count is red. Everything else is blue. This drive is about 6 months old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users