Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Laptop hard drives question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zealflux

Zealflux

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

Both hard drives on my laptop are broken and I need to replace them. My laptop is passed warranty and I am wondering if I can install them myself rather than sending it to the manufacturer. The laptop is a MSI GS63vr Stealth Pro, and the drives are 256GB SSD m.2 , and SATA 1TB HDD.
My question is if I buy new hard drives do the hard drives come with windows operating system on them or do I have to buy a new version of windows? The laptop doesnt have a cd/dvd drive so im not sure how I would get the new operating system installed. Would it have to be on a USB drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

What makes you think they are broken? did they both go at the same time?

#3 Zealflux

Zealflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

Laptop wont start. Tried putting them in an old laptop and drives were undescoverable. Anyway so need to install new ones

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:33 PM

Laptop wont start. Tried putting them in an old laptop and drives were undescoverable. Anyway so need to install new ones

You can't just plant a HDD or SSD into another machine as an internal drive and necessarily expect them to work.

What happens if you attach each one to another machine using a USB cable or enclosure?  A simultaneous failure of an SSD and HDD is about as likely as getting hit by lightning twice in an hour.

As an aside, what OS are we talking about here?

Edited by britechguy, 21 May 2018 - 10:33 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Zealflux

Zealflux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:57 PM

Already tried that , connected to my other pc externaly, they dont appear. Thats why my question is when i get new hard drives do they come with windows on them or do I have to separately buy windows and install via usb

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

New Harddrives dont come with the Operating System.

You need to Purchase them and Install on the Drives.

Have you ran any other Programs to detect the dodgy drives as you think they are ?

Minitool Partition Wizard can do this and others also.

Slave the drives to another PC with Minitool Installed.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

you don't have to purchase the os.  if you have a valid license key on the laptop then you can find a windows install disc or an ISO online that matches your version windows that should be installed.  then when it asks for the license key type in the key on the laptop. and it should install.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

FWIW:  Some User Comments On System.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users