Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who else spotted Microsoft smuggled Office365 in recent update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Jones Pc Supp.

Chris Jones Pc Supp.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

After the recent Windows update, I had a client have issues with their patient record software...the support team said it was because there were 2 versions of office installed and it was causing problems.
I had only installed the system 6 months ago and had only installed office 2010, as that wasthe version the patient records software needed....so I went back and forth with them for a while disagreeing that there was another version installed, nothing listed anywhere... except the registry and sure enough a reference to 365 (16).
Running the Microsoft office uninstaller tool did not strip it...Nothing did...I had to do a reinstall....and then right after the install and after it has done it's updates I spotted the bubble in the bottom right hand corner.." we have installed Office 365 for you"...FFS.!!!!!

Why Microsoft think this is acceptable I have no idea.....I now have to do another format and install NOT CONNECTED TO THE NET,so the install doesn't grab the update during the install and then configure windows to not auto download updates and install..(luckily it's pro, so I have that ability) !

Let me know if anyone else knew this..!
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

Welcome to Windows 10 as a "Service".

Your not alone. 40 people had the same question.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-to-version-1803-messed-up-office/d54404b0-7d44-4df8-845e-fabea2688f10

#3 Chris Jones Pc Supp.

Chris Jones Pc Supp.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

At least I'm not alone, but surprised there are no replies.

I don't think it's a bug but a deliberate act....and one that may get them in trouble....it's one thing to include a trial of office on a new OEM pc, but to start to do that in an OS update is a bit out of order.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

Maybe the client joined a network institution server that had the software?

#5 Chris Jones Pc Supp.

Chris Jones Pc Supp.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

No it's a simple setup with one server and 4 clients.. .always worked fine before the recent update and the inclusion of Office365

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

"after the most recent update" what version is the most recent update?

--- Can you revert to the prior version and start over?

"in the bottom right hand corner.." we have installed Office 365 for you"

It might be worth it to check Windows Update Advanced Options and see if Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows is checked.

I just checked a computer I updated to 1803 on Monday May 21 at the office where I volunteer.

Computer: Acer Veriton M275 System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

System information: x86 - based PC.

Control panel: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 12.0.6612.1000

There isn't an install pertaining to Office 365 and the computer is running fine.

At first I though it might be because the Win10 OS is 32-bit but looking up the Office 365 requirements indicate to me that both 32-bit & 64-bit are ok.

Also on my prior recommendation to check Give me updates for other Microsoft products is checked so in this case it didn't matter.

I know this doesn't provide any answers yet but hopefully the key to what's happening in some cases will come to light somehow.

I don't know if Feedback Hub might have information but I'm going to look it up

Edited by cmptrgy, 23 May 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

This has happened previously to the latest update. It seems updates install a Get Office 365 app and this somehow borks an existing install of Office.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_365hp/updates-have-changed-word-2007-to-office-365/3c9ac14b-b95e-4a40-9d5c-f63da61e4415

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

That’s a good article John. It reminded me of a Windows 10 computer I reset in April. Before the reset process was ready to proceed, a report was generated of what wouldn’t be kept. There were 2 Microsoft Office products listed: one for the owners paid for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 and another one for Office 365. I went into Programs and Features and both of those products were included. He never knew it and he never had problems using his Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Did the reset. Everything runs fine. He’s on 1709 16299.431. I just called him and asked him to let me know that when the 1803 update occurs does it include the Office 365 being installed and causing issues as has been reported. I want to believe that since Office 365 is no longer on his system that the “forced Office 365 install” won’t be an issue but I’d really like to know.

I am also on 1709 16299.431 and also have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016. There isn’t an entry for Office 365 in Control Panel. I’ll want to watch for what happens on my computer also.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

@cmptrgy, see this thread. It seems Microsoft is rebranding Office 2016 to Office 365 via a name change but the OP had a problem.  :huh:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_365hp/problem-with-outlook-after-windows-1803-update/55c759d7-ba6c-498e-a564-2a06e5a9038d

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:18 PM

In post #6, I mentioned "I don't know if Feedback Hub might have information but I'm going to look it up"

I finally did: couldn't find anything pertaining to this subject.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users